Sunday, September 6, 2009

Lemon Raspberry Cake

Last weekend, we went raspberry picking :) Yum.



One combination I love is lemon and raspberry. Thus, I wanted to create a lemon raspberry cake. I found a delicious-looking lemon cake recipe and a yummy blackberry cake recipe and decided to put the two together. Of course, I used applesauce and reduced/substituted sugar to make things healthier. You should expect that from me by now ;-)



Lemon Raspberry Cake - Adapted from Mommy2My9 and Amy

Cake
2-3 C raspberries
3/4 C butter (I used 1/4 C butter, 1/2 C applesauce)
1 1/4 C sugar, divided
3 eggs
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 1/2 C flour
3/4 C milk
1/4 C lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla

Frosting
2 T butter
1 C powdered sugar
1 T milk
1 T lemon juice

Glaze
1 C powdered sugar
1/8 C lemon juice


Start by making the cake.

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.

Cream together the softened butter, applesauce (if you're using it) and 1 C sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add vanilla and lemon juice.





Lightly grease 2 8 or 9-inch round cake pans.

Mix together remaining 1/4 C sugar with the raspberries and gently toss to coat. Spread the berries in the bottom of the cake pans.



Pour the batter over the berries and swirl with a spoon. Lightly tap the pans on the counter to make sure the batter gets all the way to the bottom.



Bake cakes at 350 for 25-30 minutes (if you're using butter) and 35-45 minutes if you use applesauce.



When a toothpick comes out clean, cool the cakes for 10 minutes in their pans. Then, remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.



When cake is cool, assemble the frosting and glaze.

To make the frosting, cream together room-temperature butter and powdered sugar. Slowly add in the milk and lemon juice and beat until a creamy consistency is reached. Set aside.



To make the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Set aside.



To assemble the cake, place one of the cakes on a plate, and create a layer of frosting over the top of the cake.



Carefully place the second layer of cake over the top.



Then, use the remaining frosting to cover as little or as much of the cake as you desire.



Drizzle the lemon glaze over the cake.



Slice and enjoy :)



Note: when making this recipe with applesauce the cake becomes more moist and dense and not as light and fluffy... I don't mind this, but some folks might.



Also, if you are not eating the whole cake right away, only drizzle the lemon glaze over what you eat -- reserve the glaze in the fridge and add "fresh" atop sliced pieces later on.


This post is linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Save Room for Dessert and Slightly Indulgent MondaysIngredient Spotlight

20 comments:

  1. Oh, yum! I will be trying this. And your Lucy's Chili--that looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1- can I just say I REALLY want your mixer?? :P

    2- that looks amazing. I'm def going to have to make it soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks incredibly yummy!!!! I'm going to have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummo! I needed this after I went picking a last week! Oh well. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastically delicious. Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...your blog always makes me hungry. This cake looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!
    If you have a second or two, please stop by and see my new design!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops, sorry, you have already been by and saw the new design! Thanks for stopping by! :)
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a GREAT!!! YUMMY!!! recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yumm, this looks super delicious! I wish i had some raspberries now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! :D I love both of those flavors and bet this is delish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lemon and raspberry -- yum! That glaze looks to die for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks great!! Such good flavors, lemon and raspberry!! Thanks for participating in TMTT, this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have found memories of going berry picking, and your raspberry cake looks simply amazing. I'm grabbing your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing it with us for Save Room for Dessert Wednesday over at The Krazy Kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this cake and how you made it healthier. I saw your link and thought, Hmmm - I am going to have to make that soon. I so admire that you stop and photograph while baking. I've tried to do it but I seem to get in a zone and just can't stop myself.

    Thanks so much for sharing this at Slightly Indulgent Mondays as Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free! It's a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. After reading all the submissions for Slightly Indulgent Mondays I decided I wanted to feature your cake - but I can't find your name or e-mail address anywhere on your blog. Can you shoot me an e-mail:

    amy2804@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM! This looks awesome. Wish I had seen it before I made a different lemon cake for Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...