Sunday, January 3, 2010

Gluten-Free Banana Bread

About 2 years ago, my MIL was diagnosed with celiac. This means she can't have any wheat (or barley), and dairy. While she'd been dairy-free for years, going wheat free has been an adventure. One recipe she shared with me while visiting for Christmas was for this gluten-free banana bread.



Doesn't it look wonderful?!
My MIL makes this bread often, and enjoys it for breakfast.



Gluten Free Banana Bread - From my MIL

2 C gluten-free flour mix*
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
1/8 tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter (try replacing 1/4 with apple sauce)
1 C sugar (you can use brown sugar and reduce to 3/4 C)
2 eggs
3 ripe bananas; peeled and mashed

*My MIL buys GF flour in bulk --



So this is what we used in the banana bread.

First, combine the flour, soda, salt and xanthan gum in a large bowl. Mix well.



Meanwhile, using a mixer, cream together butter (or margarine/shortening in my MIL's case) and sugar.



Add eggs, one at a time.



While the egg/sugar mixture mixes... mash up the bananas.



Add the bananas to the sugar blend.



Then, mix in the GF flour blend.



Pour batter into one greased 9x5 bread pan, or into 2 smaller loaf pans.



Bake at 350 for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays.

7 comments:

  1. Your banana bread looks like a huge success. Since, I bake gluten free for hubby, I appreciate good gluten free baked goods and love to try new recipes. Thanks for giving me one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love banana bread

    great recipe, very healthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gluten free also (2 years), but can have dairy. I've used that brand of flour mix and it is really good. I used it in my regular zucchini bread recipes and it worked really well. I don't care for it in cake though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful, and already gluten free? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, going wheat-free, gluten-free is an adventure I'm finding out. I'm also discovering it is worth the effort and a lot of fun. Your blog is beautiful and very creative. I've put it in my Favorites Bar and can't wait to search through it further. (I found your blog through Amy Green's Simply Sugar and Gluten-Free) This banana bread looks fabulous! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What a wonderful dessert. I'm sure your MIL was thrilled. Thanks so much for linking to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the recipe! I have it baking right now. I've had to go wheat and dairy free (among other things too) for my breastfeeding daughter and it's so hard to find things to eat. Basically I get fruits, veggies, brown rice and meat. I'm so glad to find a treat I can have!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...