Sunday, February 15, 2009

Healthy Applesauce Zucchini Bread


One of my favorite summer treats growing up has been zucchini bread.  This recipe comes from my grandmother, and we've changed it up to make it better for us!


Typically, quick breads are high in sugar, use all-purpose flour and lots (~ 1 C) of oil.  This recipe instead, uses whole wheat flour, reduced the sugar by 1 C and substitutes most of the oil with applesauce.  


You can make this recipe in either loaf pans or a bundt pan; the bundt pan makes for nice slices - especially for serving!


Healthy Applesauce Zucchini Bread - Mom's Kitchen

Ingredients
  • 2 C shredded zucchini, excess water drained
  • 2 eggs (egg whites are fine)
  • 1/4 C oil*
  • 3/4 C unsweetened applesauce*
  • 1 C sugar
  • 3 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • (may also add 1 tsp. ginger, and 1 tsp. cloves)
Directions

In a large bowl, cream together oil, applesauce, eggs, sugar and vanilla.

 

Add shredded zucchini. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices). Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and stir until combined.



Pour zucchini bread into a greased bunt pan or 2 greased loaf pans.


Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted into the bread comes out clean. Bundt ban timing may need to be adjusted.


Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before loosening and removing from the pan to cool on a cooling rack.


You can also add raisins, or for an extra special treat, top with a simple cream cheese, and powdered sugar icing (of course, the icing makes it not quite as healthy....!)



Enjoy!



This post is linked at Tempt my Tummy TuesdayIngredient Spotlight

*In total, you'll want 1 C of "oil" - divide between applesauce and oil as you choose.

11 comments:

  1. That looks great, and the zucchini keeps it moist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this sounds delish! I love zucchini bread and this would be a great healthy alternative. :D

    Have a great Tuesday!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE zucchini bread. Thank you for this recipe. Thanks for participating in TMTT, this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had this before. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just tried this. Excellent! Matt said "This is a winner!" I had to halve the recepie since I only havea a pie/quiche round pan but it worked out great. In tasting it, I added a thin layer of Nutella to the slice, and that was great too:) I think chocholate chips would work here as well. Anyway, we love the recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just made this and pour into 2 loaf pans...never set up! Running and thick/sticky. any advice as to why. Smelled so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenna,

    I'm sorry the bread didn't set up. I've only baked it in a bundt pan, so I am not sure if the pan had anything to do with it. But, if the zucchini was extra watery, that could account for why it didn't set. If you are willing to try it again, squeeze the zucchini shreds dry and also up the oil/decrease the applesauce. In total, they should add up to 1 C... but by swapping oil for applesauce you'll also reduce some of the liquid. Hope that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine didn't rise either and I used a bundt pan- could it be perhaps you say it should total one cup, so there should be 1/4 cup of oil not 1/8 cup oil?

      Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Good catch! I'm not sure if that was the difference maker, but, that could work. I've updated the recipe to reflect this. I recommend trying it with all white whole wheat next time, or doing a 50/50 split with all purpose; depending on the brand of whole wheat you used, it could just be too dense! We use King Arthur.

      Delete
  8. I am trying this and maybe adding chocolate chips too..well, it wont be a bread anymore..will become a cake...but hey ho! it will be yummy...brilliant recipe...great space...will see you soob=n.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the healthy recipe option - this sounds like just what I have been looking for, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...