Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Vanilla Pudding


If there's one comfort food I enjoy, especially during the winter, it's warm vanilla pudding. For a while, I've been looking around for a homemade version, and I think I finally found my keeper!

From Vanilla Pudding

Vanilla Pudding

1/4 + 1/8 C sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons (I just guestimated the 1/2) cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt (I used less than 1/4 tsp)
2 C milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter
cinnamon, if desired

In a small saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir to mix well.

From Vanilla Pudding

Add 1 C of milk, and whisk to combine the dry ingredients with the milk. When combined, add the remaining 1 C milk and stir to combine.

From Vanilla Pudding

Set pan on a burner set to medium heat. Stir constantly while heating, until desired thickness is reached. Do not allow pudding to boil. A good "check" on thickness is checking to see if the pudding will coat the back of a metal spoon.

When consistency is reached, remove pan from heat. While pudding is still warm, add butter and vanilla and stir to combine. Pour into serving dishes or a large bowl; cover and chill before serving. Makes 5 servings.

From Vanilla Pudding
I enjoy cooling the pudding for just a little while, and then sprinkling cinnamon over the top of the pudding... the pudding is still a bit warm and it tastes like rice pudding without the rice! You can also add cooked brown rice to the final pudding product, as well as raisins for a more authentic rice pudding. Now... I just need to figure out how to turn this recipe into chocolate! Any suggestions?

From Vanilla Pudding

This post is shared at the Grocery Cart Challenge, Ingredient Spotlight

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum! That looks so good I can almost taste it! LOL! I bet it really is good warm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I just made this and it is SO good I think I could eat it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I thought pudding had eggs in it. Ii love the sound of warm vanilla pudding. Can you imagine if you spooned it over warm chocolate cake?!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...