Saturday, March 28, 2009

Crockpot Vegetable Broth/Stock

A new blogging buddy of mine, Taryn, inspired me to use my veggie peelings (leftovers) and make homemade veggie broth! It looked so easy to make, and wonderful because I know what's in it, and as an added bonus, you can make it in the crockpot!

Crockpot Veggie Broth - From Taryn

Veggie "scraps" of your choosing:
  • Carrots (tops, peelings)
  • Peppers (stems, no seeds)
  • Potatoes (skins)
  • Tomatoes (tops)
  • Celery (bottoms of stalks, leaves)
  • Mushrooms (bottoms)
  • Zucchini (peels)
  • Onions
Water, enough to cover the veggies
Minced onion (if you don't add onion)


Collect veggie peelings/scraps in a container in your fridge for about a week, or until you have enough to fill a crockpot.


Place veggies in the crockpot, and add water -- just enough to cover the veggies.




Turn the crockpot to low and cook for 8-12 hours, or on high for 4-6 hours.


Allow stock to cool, and then strain to remove veggie parts.




Pour into containers to store. I also took Taryn's advice and froze broth as ice cubes... for mine, 8 cubes = 1 C broth. This way, if I have a recipe calling for just a bit of broth, I can add in the cubes.


I've heard that if I want a chicken broth... I just need to add some chicken scraps and make it in a similar fashion. Maybe I'll be brave and try that soon.

The post is linked to the Carnival of Super Foods: Broth.

4 comments:

  1. Nice work! Its magical isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know if this can be made without the mushrooms? Or are the mushrooms key to the flavor?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be trying this soon! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the very clear, step by step instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try throwing in some garlic for added immunity booster, and yes, def. go with chicken but use the bones (only or with meat) for most nutrition and flavor.

    Thank you for joining the first October Fest Carnival of Super Foods! Next week’s theme is Super Foods (which include basic things like garlic, onions, and apples). Hope to see you back!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...