Monday, August 24, 2009

Toasted Sandwiches



Back in the day when I used to buy bread (okay, it really wasn't that long ago... roughly a year or so), Frog Prince would request "Kroger" sandwiches. Which, just meant I made sandwiches on Kroger's take-and-bake French bread. We love these sandwiches -- we even made them for our family before our weddding. Delicious.

But, we haven't purchased bread in such a long time ... thus, no sandwiches.

This made Frog Prince quite sad.

So, I tried a new version of these sandwiches using leftover hamburger/hotdog buns, and they were just about as tasty as the French bread originals. I'll have to try this next time we have French bread too :) I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

Toasted Sandwiches - SnoWhite

Bread/Rolls of your choosing
Garlic powder
Cheese
Turkey breast
Tomatoes, optional

Slice the bread in half and sprinkle generously with garlic powder (to taste, of course). Top with cheese of your choosing. I love making a mozzarella and tomato sandwich. Frog Prince likes turkey and extra sharp cheddar -- experiment with what you like. Mushrooms are quite tasty too.

If you do a veggies that tend to "leak" liquids when cooked (e.g., tomato, mushroom, zucchini), you can either make a layer of cheese on both sides of the bread, or saute them before hand to prevent soggy bread. Then, simply add the veggies, wrap up and toast.



Wrap up the sandwich in a piece of tinfoil lightly sprayed with cooking spray.





Toast in the oven (or toaster oven) for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees. Then, unwrap and enjoy the deliciousness.



Yum.



This post is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

8 comments:

  1. These look like a sandwich I made years ago. We used ham and cheese and hamburger buns back then. They weren't bad, either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good idea and looks really yummy! If you use tomatoes, do you toast them too, or add them later?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had a toaster oven! I love it when we can cook things at home rather than go out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look delicious!!! I had to laugh, our family spent the weekend up at my Dad's, and he was all excited as he made your blueberry breakfast cake. It was divine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so yummy. Love all the melted cheese... Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these last night for dinner, using your hotdog/hamburger rolls recipe. I didn't have cooking spray so I just put a thin film of melted butter on the inside of the foil.

    Oh.My.Gosh they are sooooo good!! 4 kids+DH LOVED them and I can't wait to experiment with different fillings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, I saw this recipe and thought you may enjoy a somewhat similar recipe on my new food blog, it is called beef and cheese stuffed bread, come visit and see if you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom has always been a die-hard Kroger shopper, which turned me into one too. Well, we just moved to Washington... where there ARE NO KROGERS! I know exactly what bread you are talking about and I love this recipe. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...