Friday, September 18, 2009

Tidying the kitchen

A little house keeping is in order...

Item #1:

First, I just need to say thank you, readers! Seriously, you guys are the best. I love cooking for my own family, but you have all added another degree of blessing in my life by trying these recipes for your own families.

When I started blogging, I did so because I wanted my mom to try new recipes... and she won't make new recipes unless she can see photos! Thus, I created this blog as a place to archive and share our recipes.

Then, you all found it, and it has become such a fun part of my day. I appreciate your feedback and comments and try to reply to each one.... but, sometimes that's hard because there are some people who I can't find their blog or email!

Did you know that if you go into your profile and edit it, you can choose to have your email displayed. You can choose the email you want shared, and then, when you leave a comment, the blogger (such as myself) can easily email you responses to your comments! Check out these step-by-step directions that Jen over at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam.


Item #2:

Sarah, over at I Blame My Mother (who has a great blog, by the way) had a great giveaway from Cookware.com... that I won!!! I can't believe it. I was shocked when I learned that I have $50 to spend at cookware.com!

There are two kitchen gadgets that I have on my wish list... first is a dehydrator.


Nesco / American Harvest FD-35 /WT-2/LM-2-6/SLD-2-6 - Entree Food Dehydrator w / Optional Trays & Clean-A-Screen

Second, is a yogurt maker.


Cuisipro 837418 - Donvier Electric Yogurt Maker


So, my question to you is, what do you recommend? If any of you have either of these, or know of good brands, I'm open to suggestions too :)


Item #3:

Since it's no secret how much we like pasta around here, I've checked out a pasta round up that happens each Friday!

Presto Pasta Night is hosted by a variety of different bloggers, and each Friday pasta recipes are showcased. This week, The Sweet Kitchen is hosting, and there are tons of yummy-looking pasta recipes to choose from (they all have photos). My Roasted Red Pepper Tortellini Bake is one of the recipes this week.


Item #4:

Starting Sunday/Monday, my meal plans are going to be posted on this blog rather than on our personal blog. Along with that, if there is interest, I can do a mini-series on how we menu plan and cook from scratch on a budget.


Item #5:

Hope everyone enjoys their weekend!

18 comments:

  1. I vote the yogurt maker. but i'm biased against having to have yogurt in my smoothies :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like them both, but I use my yogurt maker weekly and my dehydrator seasonally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your win! As for which one to choose...I would go with the one I would use the most, if you eat lots of yogurt then I would go with the yogurt maker. If you eat more things that could be dehydrated for preserving then I would go with the dehydrator. Personally I would do with the yogurt maker because that would get more use at my house than the dehydrator.

    Oh I love your food blog! :) I have a list of recipes that I am going to try of yours once the weather decides to stay on the cool side so I can run the oven without warming up the house too much! :)

    Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go with the dehydrator. You will love it for all the dried fruit and fruit leather you make. That way you won't have to heat up your whole kitchen with the oven on. Plus with fall coming there's going to be a lot of good fruit to dry for winter cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have neither of these so I can't give my two cents:) This is the first time I am peaking at your blog and you have some good recipes. I really like the Pizza post since I adore Pizza!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love my dehydrator which I bought at a local garage sale, never used, complete with original box and User's Guide/Recipe book. I use it quite a bit especially for dehydrating tomatoes. This year I ground up the dried tomatoes to make Tomato Powder

    Sorry never have used a yogurt maker, so I can't comment on that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1. I have no idea about the gadgets... sorry! I am just not that hardcore in the kitchen, dinner is about it!

    #2. i tried the chicken parm tonight and we loved it! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I am so glad that I found your blog. I love pasta as well so I will have to check out the Friday pasta round up.

    Have a nice weekend!

    Warmly,

    Bernie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my yogurt maker. I don't have that brand, I have the Eurocuisine. I wanted one that just has one container (vs several individuals) because I like to use the yogurt in cooking and scooping out the little containers and washing them is a pain. But I could find one that wasn't plastic! Heating up plastic is a no go for my family. I have no real use for a dehydrator but both items are plentiful at garage sales, and thrift stores maybe you could get a fancy knife or skillet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have either but since you can easily make countertop yogurt or yogurt in the crockpot (both very very easy methods) I would go with the dehydrator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I seem to remember my grandma having a dehydrator that made yogurt too. I wonder if they all can do that. You probably already know that you don't need a yogurt maker to make yogurt. I have seen instructions for using a crockpot, your oven, a thermos - you name it. (I still like my yogurt maker!) But lookie, I found a conversation in which moms are talking about using their dehydrators to make yogurt. http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309949

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the Yogourmet yogurt maker (got it on Amazon; they do have frequent sales on it.) You can make 2 quarts at a time, all in one container. Personally, I really like having my yogurt all in one container. It's easier to store in the fridge, and I can use as little or as much as I like. So I would vote against the yogurt maker, and suggest the Yogourmet instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I honestly have no idea which applicance to suggest but congratulations on your win!

    You asked about my pumpkin cake and whether it tasted like pumpkin. Only in the sense that it had all the same spices a pumpkin pie would have. They used to make spice cake mix, but not anymore. I almost used the carrot cake mix but the "carrot flavored bits" was a turn off to me!!! Thanks for visiting - you have lots of great recipes and I can't wait to visit more with you. :D Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats on winning the giveaway!!! How awesome. I really don't have experience with either gadget, so I don't have any suggestions.

    I'm glad you posted that about the email address. I run into the same problem when I try to respond to my readers comments.

    Hope you're having a great weekend!!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS, quick question...what kind of camera do you use? I love how detailed and yummy your pictures always look! My hubby just surprised me with a Canon Rebel camera for a late anniversary gift. I haven't had time to play with it much, but I can't wait to take pictures for my recipe blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 1. No, thank you! I am so glad I found your blog. I have tried so many of your recipes and loved every single one. Whenever I'm in a pinch, I always know I can count on you!

    2. Go for the dehydrator.

    3. I can't wait to check that pasta round up out. I love pasta too.

    4. I'd love to read a mini series about your menu planning and cooking from scratch. I'm always looking to improve my own system.

    5. You too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Think first about how much space you have. Which appliance will fit into your scheme of things best? Which would you be most likely to use? Congratulations on your win, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I got rid of my yogurt maker with the little cups because the crockpot works so well (Crockpot lady has full instructions). I prefer not to deal with the multiple little containers, too.

    I've been using my dehydrator to dry zucchini slices with just a sprinkle of salt. They're delicious!

    Were it me, I'd either get the dehydrator to save money over using the oven (I would think) and try crockpot yogurt, or I would watch for both second-hand and buy something completely different like a previous commenter suggested. My Nesco dehydrator came from Walmart and it was around $20 not that many years ago (only 4 trays, tho).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...