Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream



Have you seen Edy's/Dryer's Pumpkin ice cream? Or, have you had Cold Stone's creamy deliciousness? With allergies, these ice creams are off-limits... so I decided to create my own. We made ours with sweet potatoes... but don't hesitate to make it with actual pumpkin.

Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream - Finding Joy in My Kitchen

1 C pumpkin puree* (or sweet potato puree)
2 C Half and Half
1 C Cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
(and, a little nutmeg if so desired)

Mix together puree, spices and vanilla. Allow these to sit together for an hour or so to let the flavors blend.


Then, dissolve the sugar in the cream and half and half.

Add all the ingredients together in the ice cream maker and make according to manufacturers directions.

Scoop into freezer containers and allow the ice cream to hard set... or, if you're too impatient... eat it right away.


But... hard set is better :)


I think this ice cream would be fabulous made into ice cream sandwiches between yummy Molasses Crinkles! Or, break apart little pieces of these cookies and add them to the ice cream maker about 5 minutes before you stop making ice cream.

*Really puree the heck out of the puree... unless you want chunks in your ice cream ;)

Looking for to make this without an ice cream makerClick here for two easy ways to do so!

This post is linked to October Carnival of Super Foods - Healthy Fats Edition,The Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap, In-Season Recipe Swap: Sweet PotatoesFriday Feasts, and Pumpkin-Link Up at the Newlyweds.

11 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try this. I've never had pumpkin ice cream and I'm intrigued by how it might taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for a recipe like this and all I could find was store bought ice cream with stuff mixed in. I can't wait to try this! Thanks for all the great recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT!!! treat to make for the holidays.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I am wishing we had an ice cream maker right now! Can you make this without one? I just love the pumpkin pie blizzards at Dairy Queen and it'd be so great to make this ice cream instead of paying for their version. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I don't have an ice cream maker myself, but if I did, I would totally try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so wish I had an ice cream maker right now!! this sounds fabulous! I had pumpkin ice cream at a pumpkin festival last year, but this looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pumpkin ice cream. I love it with graham cracker pieces and almonds mixed it. I hate forking out the amount of money it costs to buy it. Thanks for the great recipe. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice treat for this time of year. Thanks so much for linking up on Momtrends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *drooling on keyboard!* I was thinking I saw a "fall" ice cream somewhere, but I don't know where. Now I can try yours!

    Thanks for linking into the October Fest carnival,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum, what a fabulous idea!!!

    I love that you use sweet potatoes for your husbands allergies, but a similar flavor I am sure.

    I can't wait to try this. Thanks for joining the pumpkin link up.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...