Monday, November 2, 2009

Apple Honey Pie

We're still enjoying apples... and one thing you can never have enough of is pie.



I wanted to try to make the traditional apple pie a little healthier -- less sugar, whole wheat flour, and lots of spices. One bite from Frog Prince and I knew it was a hit.





Apple Honey Pie - SnoWhite

Crust/Topping
1 C whole wheat flour
1 C old-fashioned oats
2 T brown sugar
1 T honey
1/2 C butter, melted
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Apple Filling
4 large apples, sliced and diced
2 T whole wheat flour
1-2 tsp. cinnamon (to taste)
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 C honey

You'll start by making the crust/topping. Don't snitch any in the process either ;)

First, melt the butter. Stir in the honey.

Then, add to the melted butter the flour, brown sugar, oats and cinnamon.



Stir and mix well until clumpy.



Pour all but roughly 3/4 C of topping into the pie plate. Press into the pie plate to form a crust. Reserve the rest for the topping.

[sorry, somehow I didn't take a picture of the crust!]

Then, mix flour, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a large bowl.



Add apples and drizzle with honey.



Stir well to coat.



Place apples inside the pie crust.



Sprinkle with remaining topping.



Smile.



Bake at 350 for ~45 minutes until browned and slightly bubbly (juiciness of the pie will depend on the variety of apples)... ours never really got bubbly, but the apples were tender.



Allow the pie to cool slightly before serving. With ice cream, of course.



Then, go back for seconds... it is healthy apple pie, after all ;-)



This post is linked to:

28 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I love this YUMMY!!! recipe. Looks awesome with ice cream.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a healthier way to make pie with the heaps of apples in my kitchen (I asked my husband to buy me two apples and he thought I meant two bags of apples!!) This sounds perfect! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that sounds great. I am going to have to make this on the weekend as a welcome home for my hubby :) I still have tons of apples left even after all of my apple canning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your interpretation. It's not only beautiful but looks delish! I always learn something about cooking when I stop by here. Thanks so much for linking to Slightly Indulgent Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love trying to make our food healthier, but I'm pretty wimpy with my efforts on desserts. This looks totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. REALLY wishing I had some of that right now!!! Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you've given this a healthier slant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. The crust sounds really good:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a great twist on apple crisp!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks really lovely! I've never used honey with a crisp. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet the honey gives it a richer flavor, that looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm having a dinner party with a couple of friends from church on Thurs night and I will be making this dessert. It looks great.
    Also, I made your three cheese baked ziti-delicious! And Sunday I made your apple cinnamon oatmeal bread for a church-wide breakfast. It is wonderful. I was glad there was some left over!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Totally healthy. Seconds are required.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks yummy ! coming by via TMTT !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness gracious! That looks so yummy!!!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    sweetjeanette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh yummy! My mouth is watering - great apple pie recipe! Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. so i have to make this for my daughter...these are her two favorites...thx 4 sharing it w/ us

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I think I can even make the crust (the ability to make a good pie crust has eluded me) and we love anything with apples :-) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mine is in the oven baking right now! thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. YUM I think I'll make this today!!! Thanks for the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm with Kim - finally a crust it sounds like even I can make!!! Sounds wonderful...I am off tomorrow, maybe I'll get to try it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW this looks amazingly better than traditional apple pie!! I can't wait to try this!!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ~TidyMom

    ReplyDelete
  24. Apple pie is one of my favorites, but I love that yours has honey in it. And that topping...yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. it hit the spot!
    http://lunchboxlimbo.blogspot.com/2009/11/apple-piecrisp.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love apple pie, I made mini apple crisp pies for the pie party! Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yummy! A delicious pie that would be welcome at any dinner table. Apple pie is one of my favorites.
    Now, I'm off to enjoy visiting other "Love the Pie" blog participants.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...