Friday, November 6, 2009

Roasted Veggie Parmesan


Looking for a quick meal that tastes "exquisite" to quote Frog Prince? This is your dish, my friend.


Yummy roasted veggies served with whole wheat pasta, turkey sausage and a creamy garlic Parmesan sauce.



mmmm.  This is a dish you can serve to company :)  Or, you can make it for yourselves because it's really too good to share.

Roasted Veggie Alfredo - SnoWhite

1/2 lb. asparagus, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
4-5 large garlic cloves (leave whole)
1 medium red onion, sliced into quarters*
Optional: other veggies... think zucchini, broccoli, even carrots!
1 T (or less) olive oil
~6.5 oz dried pasta, we used half a box of whole wheat penne
1/2 lb. Italian turkey sausage (we used breakfast sausage)
1 C whipping cream
1/4 - 1/2 C Parmesan cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste

*We used about 2 T minced onion

Preheat oven to 450.  

Dice up and prepare all the veggies. 


Then, place all the veggies except asparagus (and zucchini, if you use it) in a 9x13 glass baking dish. 


Drizzle olive oil and salt and pepper over the veggies and place them in the oven to roast for about 15 minutes. Include the whole garlic cloves too!


Then, add the asparagus and continue roasting for an additional 10 minutes, or until veggies are done to your likeness.

Meanwhile, boil pasta according to package directions, and drain when pasta is done.

Then, brown your sausage in a skillet, and place on a paper towel to drain excess grease.


While sausage is browning, combine cream (and if you used minced onions, add them here) and salt and pepper and stir until mixture warms.  Add in the now-roasted garlic from your roasted veggie tray, minced.


Then, add in the Parmesan cheese and stir until mixture thickens a bit. Make sure to stir constantly.


Combine pasta, veggies and sausage in a large bowl and toss well.



Then, pour the creamy Parmesan sauce over the top of the veggies.


Stir to coat.


Serves 4-6.


And, in the words of my hubby... even these leftovers are delicious.

This post is linked to:
Friday Food
Foodie Friday
Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap
2nd Bloggy Progressive Dinner: Main Dish
Ingredient Spotlight: Garlic

17 comments:

  1. Oh man, my mouth is watering! That looks fab even without the meat.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...this sounds sooooooo good. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe! You two must have tons of leftovers with all the yummy foods you cook :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a GREAT!!! pasta recipe and with roasted veggie is sounds like one for the recipe box.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a visually beautiful posts. Your photos are great! The pasta sounds fabulous. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks perfect. It is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love roasting vegetables. Now this is taking them over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had this for dinner right now. It looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That meal looks absolutely delicious! I am such a pastaholic that I'd have a hard time sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm all about "exquisite". I'm printing this one off right now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can definitely see why this was family approved. All of those veggies combined with parmesan cream - you can't get any better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me very hungry. I guess it's not a good time to be reading food blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this tonight (modified with summer squash, zucchini, and we did not have asparagus, and I used Italian sausage AND turkey sausage) for a couple friend who came over for dinner tonight. It was fantastic! I used the cream you had given me when you moved out and the Parmesan cheese, too. THANKS for helping us out with the ingredients and the recepie. The only pasta I had (besides spaghetti) was tri-color rotini, and it worked great in this :-) YUMMY!! And we have leftovers :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Making this tonight--already looking SO good! Thanks for the recipe. I heart your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a delicious recipe. However, my husband doesn't like Parmesan cheese. Any suggestions for a substitution? I suppose I could decrease the amount I put in......

    ReplyDelete
  16. @7mom

    The Parmesan really makes this dish -- you could try decreasing the amount, that might help. I'm not a huge Parm fan... try shredded Parm from Sargento... and if your hubby doesn't care for it, more leftovers for you!

    You might be able to try Mozzarella or Monterrey Jack, but I haven't tried either. If you do, let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had this one for dinner tonight and it was delish!
    We live in a location where ground turkey is not available, so I bought ground pork from the meat market and added Emeril's Essence and Garlic powder to make it taste more like sausage, and it worked great!
    I agree, the Parm isn't overpowering at all and just makes a nice cream sauce. We also can't buy asparagus, but I can only imagine how delicious it would be with it! We used peppers, onion, broccoli, and carrots and they all went well with the dish.
    I highly recommend this one! (as I do with all of your recipes!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...