Monday, December 14, 2009

Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup

A few weeks back, we bought a 10 lb bag of potatoes. It takes 2 people a LONG time to eat 10 pounds of potatoes.

We tried a new soup to use up some of the potatoes, and it was delicious and easy. It reminded me of broccoli cheese soup, but it was super creamy because of the potatoes, not because of lots of extra cream. It's a healthier version of broccoli cheddar soup :)



Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Soup - SnoWhite

5 C diced potatoes
water to cover the potatoes
~12 oz. chopped broccoli (we used frozen)
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 C milk
1 C extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Place the diced potatoes in a large stockpot, sprinkle with salt and cover with water. Boil for about 30 minutes, covered. Stir occasionally, especially as the potatoes get softer.



When the potatoes are tender, mash a few times with a potato masher. Then, add in the frozen broccoli. Allow the broccoli and potatoes to continue cooking for another 5ish minutes.



Add the milk, and heat until the mixture simmers. Mash the soup a few more times with the potato masher, if desired.

Then, remove from the heat. Stir in the pepper and the cheese and allow the hot soup to melt the cheese slowly.



Serve warm with a yummy crusty bread.



This post is linked to:

11 comments:

  1. I love soup... everything in this recipe is terrific... Cold is coming back, i need this soup badly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious as always! I love broccoli cheese soup. I need to try this recipe. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great. I have a potato chowder in the slowcooker right now. Because you know what takes 2 people longer to eat than a 10 lb bag of potatoes?

    TWO 20 LB BAGS.

    Please explain to me why, why, why, I would ever think it was a good idea to buy 40 lbs of potatoes? Because I have not figured it out yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy! I'm going to have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this soup. I'll have to put it on the back burner for a while, but we'll eventually get to make it. It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was laughing when I read the first line of your post because this week I bought a 10-pound bag of potatoes and you are right, it takes a long time to get through them! I don't think I'm even a quarter way through the bag yet. Great idea with the soup:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love potato soup & I love broccoli soup but never have tried broccoli/potato soup...sounds delicious!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that this would be so comforting on a chilly winter evening...it's hard to believe it's already the end of 2009. Gosh.

    Thanks for linking up! This is a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks and sounds wonderful! Naturally gluten free, too--love that!

    Thanks,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy....gonna try this one this week. I love trying your recipes....they've all turned out great! Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made this the other night and it was fantastic! I made it without milk because I was didn't print the recipe. Just tried to go by memory. My husband couldn't believe there was no cream or milk in it. Mashing the potatoes in the boiling water really made a difference! (though I did add chicken bouillon to it)

    I also added a head of cauliflower to the soup because I needed to use it before it went bad.

    Delish! Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...