Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Crockpot Boeuf Bourguignon

Good thing this recipe is not as complicated as bourguignon is to spell.  Sheesh.  That's not an easy one.



This recipe is extremely easy... no need to worry about falling asleep on the couch and forgetting to take it out of the oven on time, since this one is a crockpot version!

Crockpot Boeuf Bourguignon - Adapted from Sarah's Musings

~ 8 T of bacon bits (or 6 strips of bacon, diced)
3 pounds of stew beef, cubed
3 large carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3 T flour
1 can (14 oz) beef broth/stock
1 C red wine
1 T tomato paste
1 tsp. thyme
1 large bay leaf
1/2 lb. frozen white pearl onions
1 lb. fresh white mushrooms, sliced
1/2 tsp. butter


Cook bacon in a skillet until crispy.  Remove the bacon to drain on a paper towel; leaving the bacon drippings in the pan.  Add meat cubes to the skillet and brown well.  If you use bacon bits, just brown the meat with a little olive oil, adding bacon bits to cook along with the beef.



Place the browned meat in the crockpot.



Add carrots (we just used baby carrots), garlic and diced onion.



Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with flour. You can use white wheat or whole wheat as the thickener.





Stir in the beef broth, mix well.

Then, add bacon, wine, tomato paste, bay leaf and pearl onions.





Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. It will smell divine.



About 1 hour before cooking, saute the mushrooms in melted butter.





When the liquids have evaporated, add the mushrooms to the bourguignon.





Continue cooking for an additional hour before serving over rice.





Enjoy a delicious, and elegant dinner ... that you prepared in minutes!!



Linked to:

14 comments:

  1. That looks GREAT! This will be added to an upcoming menu plan for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so great! josh and i watched Julie and Julia a couple of weeks ago and he has been asking me to make this ever since! I will certainly try your crockpot version out!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post reminded me of the movie I recently watched, "Julie & Julia"! You're probably way ahead of me and have seen it, but if for some reason you haven't, you should! You'd probably like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because I love your blog, you have been nominated for a Lemonade Stand Award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your Julie and Julia reference! I think I've watched it about 5 times now. :) This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks just right, but i would miss that hiss when you pour the wine in

    ReplyDelete
  7. I finally got hubby to watch Julie and Julia with me and he's been after me to try boeuf bourguigon ever since. This looks way easier than the stove version. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGosh! I cannot wait to try this! I watched Julie & Julia the other night and this made me want to try it even more. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks GREAT!!! Julia would be proud. I still haven't seen to movie. I need to put that on my list of must see ASAP!!!
    Come by and visit so you can enter my GREAT!!! waffle maker giveaway.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've made this dish so simple that I know I can do it. Oh my!! Now
    I'm starving..whats for dinner?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A great recipe and great pictures. Well done. I will try it. Doylene

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm, this sounds amazing and I love that it is done in the crock pot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe is beyond amazing! Thank you so much for sharing it. I ended up cooking it on low simmer on the cooktop for a few hours as I got a late start for the crock. Big Guy's first words after tasting it were "OH MY!" And silence ensued! Great meal for company!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...