Sunday, April 18, 2010

Barley Bake



Barley is a grain I am truly coming to enjoy in things other than soups! I spied this recipe from my friend Joanne, who blogs at "Eats Well with Others" and decided to try it.

By the way... Joanne is amazing.  She's an aspiring cancer researcher currently working on her MD/PhD!  When she's not studying the books, she's cooking up amazing dishes... ones I'd love to serve to royalty.  Seriously... her food and elegant approach to cooking and serving is wonderful.

And, this is just one of her yummy dishes that we've adapted for our enjoyment!



Cheesy Veggie Barley Bake - Adapted from Joanne at Eats Well with Others

2/3 C barley (I used quick cooking)
1 1/2 C water
1/4 tsp. salt
2 medium zucchini
2 red bell peppers
8oz mushrooms, sliced
1/2 lb. Italian turkey sausage (if desired)
1 T olive oil
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 egg
1 lb. part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 C extra sharp cheddar cheese

Begin by cooking the barley in the water and salt.  Set aside.

Meanwhile, chop and prepare the veggies.

In a large skillet, brown the Italian turkey sausage.



In another large skillet, saute the veggies in a little olive oil until they are tender.





Add in the spices and stir until combined.



In a large bowl, mix the ricotta cheese together with the egg.



Mix together the ricotta mixture with the veggies, barley and sausage.





Then, spread in a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.



Sprinkle the top with extra sharp cheddar cheese.



Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes, until center is set and the cheese is lightly browned.



Serve warm -- enjoy!



Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you made and enjoyed this! Thanks so much for the sweet words. You've made my day :)

    How did the thesis defense go???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy...and I LOVE that it doesn't have onions (I'm allergic, really - I love them, they HATE me!) Except that I don't eat sausage because I never know if it has onion powder, but I think it sounds great just with the veggies. Thanks!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would it be good with brown rice instead of barley too?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...