Thursday, April 1, 2010

Brown Rice Casserole


A few weeks ago, my colleague warmed up the most amazing smelling lunch - ever.


She explained to me how much they she and her family like the dish, and told me it contained three simple ingredients:  brown rice, smoked sausage and chicken broth.

Sounds easy enough.

So, earlier this week when we were in need of some comfort food, I tried my hand at our version of Brown Rice Casserole Hotdish.


It was a success.

Brown Rice Hotdish - Adapted from my colleague

1/2 of a ring of smoked sausage (kielbasa), sliced
1 T minced onion
3/4 C brown rice (I used minute brown rice)
3/4 C chicken broth
1/2 C hot water
splash of lemon juice
1/4 C Parmesan cheese

Place sliced sausage in a frying pan and brown for 5-6 minutes.



When nicely browned, add in minced onion and brown rice, toss to coat the rice in the oil in the pan.


Add in 1/2 C hot water and stir to coat.


Pour the whole dish into a greased 2 qt dish, or an 8x8 glass baking dish.  Add in the chicken broth.


Cover, and cook at 375 for 30-40 minutes (If you use minute brown rice, cook for 20 minutes) or until rice is done and most of the liquid is absorbed.

Then, uncover and add a sprinkle of lemon juice and Parmesan cheese.


Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted.


Serve warm and enjoy!

I have no idea if this is even remotely close to her amazing brown rice casserole, but, it will make a repeat appearance on our menu!  Since the original posting, we've added 1 C fresh spinach before baking -- wow, we love that too.


Linked to: Ingredient Spotlight.  

19 comments:

  1. I am definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a Hot Cross Buns recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fantastic! I can totally see myself making that one. Gotta love a good hot-dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good enough for me to try too! What's a pinch of lemon juice? Should that be a dash/splash of lemon juice or a pinch of lemon zest?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, everything tastes better with Kielbasa:):)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks awesome & SO easy!
    Is that instant brown rice in the picture?
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really good! It has lots of my favorite ingredients in it. I have been craving rice lately so this sounds perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you hit it nail on! Down to the lemon juice, which I always forget! I think this dish is also good with black beans. Haven't tried spinach, but heck yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks wonderful.....After a hard week, spending a relaxing hour of blog hopping.

    So glad I stopped by your blog. Happy Easter

    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who knew something so simple could be so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll try it with homemade venison sausage. It's going on this week's menu plan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sounds really good, that will be on my menu this week too! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. finally made this for lunch today - how can it be so simple and so tasty! Thanks for the recipe it was just delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had this for dinner tonight--Monterrey jack cheese goes really well with it (we didn't have much Parmesan) and we used turkey Italian sausage :-) I think I'm going to try making it in my rice cooker next time instead of the oven and definitely plan to add some beans and/or spinach to future renditions. We liked the flavors in this simple dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We just made this tonight, and it was delicious! Unfortunately, I did not have brown rice, so I substituted long grain and wild rice that I happened to have in the pantry. I also added an entire bag of baby spinach. It was wonderful and you were right - SO much flavor from so few ingredients!! We will definitely make this again. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is quickly becoming one of our favorites. It's so quick and easy. I have been adding a ton of spinach and it's delicious. I also do everything in my dutch over. That way I can cook the whole thing on the stove top or just throw it in the oven. Thanks for the wonderful recipe - my hubby loves it (and me too!)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bookmarked this! It looks like it would be a nice, inexpensive meal for one of those weeks when cash is running thin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...