Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mushroom Melt Skillet



In a pinch for dinner last week, I added a new twist to a family favorite....



and, it was a hit!

It kind of reminded me of those hamburger box meals... but much better.  I used ground turkey, loaded up on the mushrooms, and paired it with brown rice to make this dish healthier.  And... it's gluten-free too!



Mushroom Melt Skillet - SnoWhite

1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 T minced onion
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
3/4-1 C mozzarella cheese, grated
2 C brown rice

Prepare rice using a rice cooker, or according to package directions.  Make as much/little rice as you desire -- we like ~2-3 C prepared for this dish.

In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey with onions and garlic until cooked.  Season with salt and pepper, if desired.  {I used ground turkey from the freezer that was already browned!}

Then, add the mushrooms to the skillet and saute until softened.



Sprinkle cheese over the top, and cover to allow cheese to melt.



Serve over brown rice.



YUM!



This recipe is linked to:

12 comments:

  1. YUM...I LOVE one-skillet meals and write a regular feature, Skillet Suppers! I'll be trying this recipe soon :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks so much better than any hamburger helper I ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How much better indeed... great to be able to make this work on the fly, excellent post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Those are my favorite flavor combinations!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm...this looks yummy! I wish hubby ate mushrooms (what is wrong with him?!?) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks fantastic! I need to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm, looks yummy - and fresh mushrooms were on sale last week - I think this will by family's supper tomorrow night - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That look wonderful! Mr. GFE would love this dish because he's a mushroom fanatic. :-)

    Thanks!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the recipe. I am going to have this tonight. I get to use my freshly canned mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! I love anything like this with mushrooms! All of your posts are making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks INCREDIBLE! Really excited to try it and I hope you are excited too because I'm your newest follower! :) Would love for you to stop by my blog as well.
    Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks yummy! We love all those ingredients! I am sure the combination will be a hit at my house! Thanks for linking this recipe to Finger-lickin' Good Recipes Friday! Best wishes for a wonderful week-end!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...