Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Pink Grapefruit Cake

Are you looking for a light, spring cake?  A cake for a wedding shower, baby shower, or spring potluck?



Then look no further.  This delicious cake is light and tasty with a hint of grapefruit.



Even those who are not "big grapefruit fans" enjoyed this cake.

At least that's what they told me :)

The cake is quite healthy to begin with, but I of course couldn't leave well enough alone.  I tampered adapted the recipe... using white whole wheat flour, reduced the sugar and used applesauce.

Pink Grapefruit Cake - Adapted from Two Peas

Cake
3/4 C Greek Yogurt (or buttermilk)
3/4 C sugar
Zest of 2 grapefruits
2 eggs
1 1/2 C white wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/3 C applesauce

Syrup
1/4 C grapefruit juice
2 T sugar


Glaze
1/3 C powdered sugar
2-3 T grapefruit juice

Begin by mixing together the white wheat flour, baking powder and salt.



Zest two grapefruits and place the zest in a bowl with the sugar.



Then, rub the zest along with the sugar between your fingers to really bring out the grapefruit scent.





Then add the yogurt or the buttermilk to the sugar/zest mixture.



Mix in the eggs and applesauce.



Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones and mix until just moist.



Pour into a greased 9-inch cake pan.

Then, bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.



Allow the cake to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes.

While it cools, prepare the syrup and glaze.

First, for the syrup, combine sugar and grapefruit juice in a saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved, lightly boiling for about 1 minute.



For the glaze, combine the grapefruit juice with powdered sugar. If it's too runny, add more sugar to achieve the desired consistency.



Then, remove the cake from the pan and allow it to cool just a little more.



When cooled, use a toothpick to poke holes in the top of the cake.



Then, carefully spoon the syrup over the top of the cake so that it soaks down into the holes.



Let the cake cool completely.



Finally, drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake before serving.



You can't see the glaze one mine because I added it when the cake was to warm... so it melted. Lesson learned: wait until the cake is cooled. Do not be impatient.



This recipe is linked to:

13 comments:

  1. Yummy, my mouth is watering! It sounds delightful. I have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to try this! :) Sounds like the perfect spring/summer cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm so glad you shared this recipe! I love citrus - though I can't have it as often as I want because I'm technically allergic, but no symptoms unless I have it too often :). I think I love the scent of citrus even more than the taste...I could "smell" it as I was reading through the recipe.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun twist! I love lemon desserts and I love grapefruit, so I can see no reason that this wouldn't be delicious. Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty! Will definitely give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally I'm looking for anything that involves grapefruit - favorite fruit of the moment! This looks so moist and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So light--absolutely perfect for warm weather. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds very springy!! :) Yum!

    I gave you a blog award. :) Please check out my blog for more details!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok - loving the idea of this! Can't wait to taste it! Bookmarking as we speak...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It actually surprises me, but my kids all love grapefruit. This is definitely going on my "to try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I am going to try this one out. I just made a Pink Lemonade Cake (Recipe posted on my blog) and really loved that. I am all about desserts lately!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one beautiful cake! Yum! :-) I'm sure it would be easy to convert to gluten free for us. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...