Thursday, July 15, 2010

Ham and Broccoli Shells


We're in serious clean-out-the-pantry and don't-turn-on-the-oven-if-you-know-what's-good-for-you mode.



But, we still want to eat good meals.

Urg.

I wanted to make rice cooker mac and cheese -- but, we've used up all our chicken broth.  :(


So, I improvised.

And, in the process got a yummy, filling meal that used up some pasta, the last of our Easter ham and a bag of broccoli!


Ham and Broccoli Shells - Finding Joy in My Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

1/2 lb. whole wheat pasta shells (about 1/2 a box)
1 bag (16oz) frozen broccoli
1/2 C diced ham
1 1/2 C shredded cheeses (I used Monterrey Jack and Cheddar)
2 T flour
~1 C milk
salt and pepper, to taste

Begin by boiling pasta -- use my special summer boiling pasta tip, to keep the kitchen cooler.  Add in the broccoli in the last five minutes.  Drain.  

Meanwhile, saute the ham in a large skillet.

In a measuring cup, mix together the flour and 3/4 C milk until dissolved.

Pour into the skillet with the ham and stir until mixture thickens.  Add the remaining 1/4-1/2 C of milk (to achieve your desired thickness).  Season with pepper.

Remove skillet from the burner and add in the cheese.  Allow the heat from the dish to melt the cheese.


Stir in the pasta and broccoli.


Season with salt and pepper.


Serve warm!


Tastes best while watching This Old House and daydreaming about your new home :)

Photobucket

Broccoli on Foodista

9 comments:

  1. I love how we both made vegified versions of mac and cheese! Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great way clean out the pantry! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love any form of mac and cheese there is... even if it has healthy things in like broccoli :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, I look forward to following your blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so resourceful. You'll be in your new home soon; very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum, pasta always calls my name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipe looks yummy! I have a similar one where I add garlic for flavor since we're a low-salt family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is delish!If you won't mind I'd love to guide Foodista readers to this post.Just add the foodista widget to the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...