Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stove Top: Mixed Veggies and Pasta


Last week, I decided to surprise Frog Prince by putting one of his favorite dinners on the menu: Mixed Roasted Veggies and Pasta.


However... when dinner time rolled around, it was already 95 degrees outside and, like 100 in our tiny 3rd floor apartment (heat rises, you know).

The last thing I wanted to do was turn on the oven to roast veggies.  

It was then that I realized I could make this dish on the stove top too!


Fresh garden veggies, yummy whole wheat pasta and delicious melted cheese.


Yum.

What I love about the dish is the combination of flavors -- the veggies with the Italian seasoning and cheese!  You can easily make this recipe GF by serving it over brown rice, or with a rice-based pasta.

Mixed "Roasted" Veggies and Pasta - Adapted from Betty Crocker
{Print Recipe}

1 medium red, yellow, and orange bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 medium zucchini, quartered
8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
1 T olive oil
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. basil
2 C whole wheat pasta, uncooked
2 medium tomatoes, diced
4 oz. shredded mozzarella (or Italian-style) cheese

Prepare pasta.  To reduce heat in the kitchen, add the pasta to the water right away.  Then, heat to a slow boil and turn off the burner.  Cover and allow the pasta to cook in the cooling water until desired doneness is reached.  Drain.

Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stir fry pan.

Add veggies and saute until crisp/tender (about 7 minutes).


Season with seasoning.  Then, add in the tomatoes and saute for an additional minute.


Turn off the burner.  Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.


Cover and allow the cheese to melt.


Then, serve over the pasta {or, to make this GF, serve over brown rice}.


Photobucket

This post is linked to:

12 comments:

  1. I am with on not using the oven. I've even done some of our favorite casserole on the stove top. This looks like a tasty meal. I like the bright color of the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I'm going to pass along your recipe to my mil, and try it myself. She's diabetic and has celiacs so she's always looking for gluten-free recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pasta looks fantastic. What a great way to "roast" the veggies when you don't want to turn on the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great heat saving pasta cooking tip. I am going to try this for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of the fun colors just made me hungry LOL Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love doing this with fresh veggies in the summer. We also like feta cheese with the veggies - it gives a nice saltiness.

    I always say that there's nothing like picking your dinner from the backyard when the garden is in full swing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks so fresh and so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love lots of veggies in pasta!!! Looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They say the more colorful the better the food is for ya. This is a winner! Thanks so much for linkin up with tasty tuesdays today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the beautiful colors and flavors in this one. I am so with you about the heat and the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love pasta served like this with lots of veges. Good call on using the stove instead of the oven. It is hot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love this...looks so colorful and healthy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...