Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Zucchini "Pizza"


This past weekend, one of my dear friends and her husband came for a visit! My friend was just diagnosed with celiac and I asked her if she'd be willing to let me cook for her. I know how challenging it can be to allow someone to cook for you when you have food allergies, so I made sure to tell her that I wouldn't feel offended if she wanted to bring her own food and cook.





She decided she'd allow me to cook... so I sent her a few recipes to look over before she came. We concluded that the zucchini pizza should be a tasty way to go.  I reduced the cheese, used brown rice and switched to ground turkey, all in an effort to make this dish even healthier.


Thanks, Lynn, for this awesome gluten-free recipe! We all enjoyed it very much.

Zucchini "Pizza" - Adapted from Lynn's Kitchen Adventure
{Print Recipe}

"Crust"
4 C shredded zucchini
2 C cooked brown rice
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs


Filling
1 lb. ground turkey
1 1/2 C spaghetti sauce
1 tsp. oregano*
1/2 tsp. salt*

Topping
1 1/2 C shredded cheddar cheese

*You may not need to add these spices if your spaghetti sauce already has them!

Shred the cheese and zucchini.


In a medium bowl, mix together the cooked rice, shredded zucchini, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.


Add in the eggs and mix well.


Press into a 9x13 glass baking dish.


Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes until the crust is lightly browned.


Meanwhile, brown the ground turkey; drain.


Stir in the tomato sauce.


Simmer for about 5 minutes, until warmed through.

Then, spread the spaghetti sauce mixture over the crust.


Top with shredded cheese.


Continue baking at 400 for 15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and brown.


Enjoy!



This recipe is linked to:
Grocery Cart Challenge
Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Ingredient Spotlight

19 comments:

  1. It looks really good...I will have to send it to my friend with celiac!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so making this! I am LOVING zucchini and this has GOT to be lower in calories without all the bread. It looks delicious, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great! I will definitely be trying it out :)

    I gave you a Blog with Substance award...http://adomesticnerd.blogspot.com/2010/07/blog-with-substance-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing with this recipe - we have zucchini overload from our garden right now! Can't wait to try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am totally going to try this!!!
    A friend of mine has Celliac, and she is always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great recipe for celiacs. What a great twist on traditional pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my! This looks amazing! It's zucchini time so I'm so making this!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this looks wonderful. I should eat gluten free and this is a great way to have "pizza".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like it will feed a crowd. It's definitely healthier than regular pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to share this with a friend of mine and can't think of anything else do do with her garden zucchini.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this idea! My garden is filling me up with zucchini! I'll be making this in the next week.
    Thanks Again
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum and I just found so shredded zucchini in the freezer that I need to use. Perfect timing for this one!! Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just got a huge zucchini today...I just might make this! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea to use up that zucchini! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so delicious! And, I just happen to have lots of zucchini on hand from a friends garden....thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this look great
    just wish it was casein free as well

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks delicious. I'm going to make it for my friend who is coming over for lunch on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this and it was absolutely delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just made two of these for my husbands birthday dinner. Fabulous! This will be a wonderful addition to my zucchini recipe collection :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...