Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Olympic Cookies


Thursday, it was 50 degrees.  Friday, we heard a "warning" that we might get a foot of snow.  Monday morning, we woke up to this:


As a result, we had an unexpected snow day!  After I rearranged the syllabi for the two courses I'm teaching this semester, I got to work grading.  It was such a blessing to have an extra day to get caught up!  Frog Prince had the day off to {holiday!} and we enjoyed watching the snow fall from the warmth of our house.

What's better than a snow day?


A snow day with chocolate chip cookies.


And, not just any chocolate chip cookies.


Whole wheat chocolate chip cookies from a friend, who's friend - The Olympian - gave her the recipe.

These, my friend, are cookies of Olympic greatness.


As my friend Taryn begged -- please do not alter or substitute anything in these cookies.  So I didn't.  I recommend you don't either.  Trust me.

Olympic Cookies - From Taryn

1/2 C butter, mostly melted
1/4 C + 2 T brown sugar
1/4 C + 1 T white sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1 C oats {Quick is preferred}
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 C + 2 T whole wheat flour
1 C dark chocolate chips

Begin by creaming together the butter, sugars and vanilla.


Add in the egg, and mix well.


Next, combine the oats, salt and baking soda and add to the creamed butter mixture.  


Mix these ingredients well before adding the flour.  


Stir in the chocolate chips.  


Shape the cookies into balls {I got to use my new cookie scoop, thanks to the giveaway I won from my friend Rebekah}


Place the dough balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.  


Bake at 375 for 8-11 minutes, until lightly browned and the edges are set.  The center will still be slightly soft -- that's okay, they're nice and chewy that way!


Transfer cookies to a cooling wrack and then serve.  We sampled a few right after they came out of the oven -- wow!


Photobucket

This recipe is linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday (2), Take a Look Tuesday, Fun with Food Friday, Sweets for Saturday, Sweet Tooth Friday, Culinary Battle, Gooseberry Patch

17 comments:

  1. Those look and sound just about perfect. Don't think you need to tweak that recipe at all :) Thanks to Taryn for sharing her recipe with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love me some chocolate chip cookies! :) I'm adding this to my to try list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious - I love how thick and rounded they are. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! Thanks for sharing the best cookie recipe ever. When I first saw your post I thought the post was going to be about huge cookies. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious! Glad you enjoyed the cookie scoop! I'm not doing much (okay, any) baking these days....but in a few weeks hopefully I can give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s.-food is on my blog today as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing better than a great cookie on a cold day!! These look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same thing happened here. We lost like 12 inches of snow and then GOT like 12 inches of snow. Sigh. At least it's prettier than the gross stuff that was here all winter.

    Snow is the perfect time to bake cookies! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. whole grain cookies...sounds like a great way to have your "cake" and eat it too. I'm adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always looking for new chocolate chip cookie recipes and this looks like a great one to try. Interesting combination of two different kinds of sugar. And I love that it uses whole wheat flour! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Baked these this morning :) They are PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baked these today for our homeschool co-op. They are delish! My hubby is anxious for me to make some for home now.

    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the recipe. I am going to try these out this weekend :) Thanks for linking up to Fun w/Food Friday @ Paisley Passions. Hope you stop by again soon :)

    ~Lori @ Paisley Passions

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds super yummy. Thinking about making some now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for participating in the Smackdown Battle. These Olympic Cookies sound healthy and delicious. :) I can't wait to make some, real soon! I've been looking for THE chewy cookie recipe and this could be IT! Thanks for sharing.

    Amy
    http://utry.it

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...