Thursday, April 21, 2011

Rigatoni with Stewed Veggies


Friday night Frog Prince and I were hungry.  We had intended to grill -- but the weather system that brought us a dusting of snow changed our plans.  In an effort to clean out the freezer, I pulled out some frozen spinach, and frozen browned ground Italian turkey sausage.


What started out as a quick spaghetti transitioned to a whole new creation.  I had no idea if it would be any good at all, so I hardly took any photos!


After we took one bite, we knew this recipe would be a keeper.  It's too good not to share.


Rigatoni with Stewed Veggies


1/2 box, rigatoni
1/2 lb. Italian turkey sausage, browned
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 can stewed tomatoes, undrained
8 oz. tomato sauce
1 T minced onion
~2 C spinach
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. oregano
1/4 C Italian shredded cheeses {parm, mozzarella, provolone}

Begin by warming the browned turkey sausage in a large skillet.  If you don't already have pre-browned turkey sausage in your freezer, brown it in the skillet at this step.  Add in minced onion while you do the browning.

Meanwhile, begin a pot of water to boil and cook the rigatoni until done.  Drain when the pasta is done.


Once warmed, add in the green bell peppers and saute until slightly tender.  Then, add in the stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, spinach, and seasonings.


Simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce thickens up.

Stir in the cooked and drained pasta.

Then, sprinkle the cheese over the top.

Serve warm.  



Photobucket

Linked to: Full Plate Thursday

5 comments:

  1. I love serendipitous kitchen successes and I'm impressed that you kept track of what you're adding. When I get into the improvising mode, I usually have no idea how much of what I added. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a firm believer that some of the best meals come from the "what are we going to eat tonight" problem. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow looks yummy! I will have to try this one and pass it on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sno White,
    Sometimes these are the greatest recipes. I love this pasta combination, it looks delicious with lots of flavor. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you next week. Have a very special week end!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Snowhite.. Love you blog name..I have great joy in the kitchen as well.. Would love it if you would give me a shot out on your blog.. I am going to do tell my followers to come on board and check out your blog.. You have a great Easter and I am sure we will be chatting real soon.
    Granny(Judy)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...