Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DIY Cooking Creme


I have to admit, when I first saw the new cooking creme's on the market, I laughed.  I thought - why on earth do we need this product in our cooking?!  Can't we just make this on our own?  

So, that is what I set out to do.  I haven't tried the store bought variety, so I have no idea if this even comes close to the cooking creme sold for $3-$4, but we loved it.




The best part -- I can control the level of sodium and choose the spices to fit my recipe needs as they develop.  The possibilities seem endless... and all you need is some cream cheese and broth!


DIY Cooking Creme

Base
1/3 C cream cheese
1/2 C chicken {or veggie broth}

Seasoning
1 T spices

Begin by combining chicken broth with cream cheese in a saucepan.


Gently heat the cream cheese mixture over medium heat; stir constantly.


As the cream cheese becomes nice and smooth.


Then, add in your spices.  We used 1 T of minced onion, and 2 tsp. chives.


Other ideas include:
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning and 1 T Parmesan cheese
  • 4-5 minced garlic cloves 
  • 2 tsp. Taco seasoning
  • 2 tsp. Garlic and Herb 


Cook until warmed through, then spoon/drizzle over your dinner!

13 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! I am a firm believer that most things can be made at home and of course are so much better for us! Though, time tends to probably keep a lot of people from actually doing things like this. This looks really good!
    Love the new look of the site too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. great job converting and making it homemade! You are so wise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy...and I'm sure yours tastes much better than the store variety! I always chuckle at such products

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I had to laugh at your initial reaction to the cooking cremes because that was the same way I was. There seems to be a growing division between those that really know how to cook and those that need to open a package to make dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for creating this! I thought the same thing when I saw cooking cremes too. It is nice to have a better alternative. (I'm looking forward to recipes you use with it too.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried the cooking creme (only because I had a coupon and it was on sale so really it cost about .50!) and it was tasty. I've since made my own and love it more :) Like you I like to control what goes into it and what flavors I want, not what someone in the Philly plant decided was good :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to see this post :) I saw the cooking creme as well in my local grocer and could NOT believe how expensive it was for such a little container! Glad to know I can make my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and PS -- LOVE the new blog layout ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like it would be heavenly over some pasta. It seems like the store always rip you off on the convenience items and usually the quality of homemade is higher anyway. I don't know if you do linky parties, but I'd love for you to come by and share a recipe or 2 at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight. Have a blessed day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  11. This idea is pure genius. I am an advocate for making as many of your own groceries as possible and have been doing so for years. I know that you have a recipe of your own, but I did post another recipe for Cream Soup Mix on my new blog on Monday. I am doing a series on DIY Groceries there on Mondays that I hope will be helpful to people. http://www.awell-seasonedkitchen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. The product exists because people don't know how to melt cream cheese into a good sauce without wrecking it. Your instructions will help!

    Did you see Mile Hi Mama's rant about cooking creme? Its ingredients are terrible! Sure, cream cheese is not the healthiest food, but that "creme" is a lot worse!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never even THOUGHT to make my own...i wasn't overly impressed with the cream. I only tried it b/c I got it for free...or 50 cents. but i'd never pay that price for it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...