Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Dark Chocolate Covered Toffee Bites

Black Friday has become baking day at our house.  I don’t know how it started – but that’s what it is now.  And, I love it.

Wouldn’t have it any other way.

Christmas tunes coming out of our CD player (yep, we still have one and use it regularly), sweet aromas wafting out of the kitchen, old stand-by Christmas cookie recipes in the works, and new ones on the list to try. 

My mom and I decided this year we needed to try a simple toffee recipe.  One look at the original recipe, and I knew we could make it just a little bit better for you.  Every little bit helps, right?  I used whole grain crackers and half the amount of butter. 

It was so delicious. 

And, easy.

If you take it somewhere, folks will want the recipe – trust me. 

So, I might add this one to your Christmas baking list, if you’re the planning type. 

Dark Chocolate Covered Toffee Bites – Adapted from Make Life Delicious

Ingredients

  • 1 sleeve (roughly) whole grain Club crackers*
  • 1 C brown sugar
  • 5 T butter
  • 1/2 C dark chocolate chips

Directions

Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil, or parchment paper. Spray lightly with olive oil cooking spray. 

Arrange crackers over the tinfoil until the tray is full.  This took roughly 1 sleeve of whole grain Club crackers.

Meanwhile, melt 5 T butter and 1 C brown sugar (no need to pack it) in a small saucepan. 

Bring the contents of the saucepan to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. 

Remove from the heat & pour over the crackers. 

Place the cookie sheet in the oven, heated to 400 degrees, for 5-6 minutes.  Remove from the oven.

Then, sprinkle the 1/2 C dark chocolate chips over the top of the warm caramel layer.

Wait until the chocolate chips are shiny, and then spread them out over the top of the caramel layer. 

Cool on the counter for 2-3 hours. 

Break the toffee into bite-sized pieces. 

Store in an airtight container on the counter.  Or, hidden in a drawer or closet.  However you prefer.  I’ll let you decide once you taste it. 

*Any club/saltine/town house – like cracker can be used in this recipe.  If I ever come up with a homemade saltine recipe, I’ll likely use that here just because it would be amazing. 

Linked to: Tasty Tuesday, Talent Show Tuesday

10 comments:

  1. Delicious!!! Headed to the grocery store in a bit! Better pick up the ingredients, this looks so good!!! I'm your newest follower so I'll be checking back for recipes often!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    Your new Bloggy Friend,
    Aimee from ItsOverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE these! Good to know I can reduce the butter a bit! We fondly call these "Christmas Crack" at my house b/c it is so addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make these every year using saltines - so easy and yummy! My family loves this recipe and easy for kids to help out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made these before and they are so good! Reading this makes me want to make them again (and soon!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy smokes that looks great- perfect as a special treat for the holidays! we are about to kick off merry mondays! hope you will join and possibly link this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made these, but could not get the toffee to spread nicely like yours. It firmed up as soon as it hit the crackers. I boiled it for 3 minutes, maybe too long??? When did you start timing? So about half had both layers, many were just chocolate covered crackers, lol. But hey, they tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Wilma NC -

    Mine was quite thick too. I started timing once little bubbles appeared in the syrup, and then drizzled the sauce over trying to pour it as evenly as possible. Then, I had to work really quickly to spread it out over the areas where more was needed. Even when it got cold/firmed up, I was still able to spread it a bit over some of the crackers. I'll be making it again this weekend, so we'll see what happens in round 2!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I need to make something for a New Year's Eve party, and this looks like the ticket! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...