Monday, December 19, 2011

Anise Cookies

5 years ago, my husband came home with me for Christmas.  Except we weren’t married yet.  Or even engaged.  That followed… about 5 days after I made these cookies for the first time. 

Frog Prince was away from home for the first Christmas, and he requested we make these cookies. 

I’ve come to learn  that Frog Prince’s mom made 4-5 batches of this recipes yearly. 

Until that day, I never had anise.  But, I quickly fell in love with these cookies, and of course, with the boy who brought them into my family. 

Now, they are part of our yearly Christmas cookie selection. 

Whole Wheat Anise Cookies – Adapted from Frog Prince’s Mom

Ingredients

  • 1/2 C butter, softened
  • 3/4 C sugar {just under 3/4 C works great}
  • 1 egg
  • 2 C white whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2-4 tsp. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. anise extract

Directions

Begin by creaming together the 3/4 C sugar and 1/2 C butter.

Then, add the egg and beat until the batter is light and fluffy.  Add 1/2 tsp. anise & vanilla extract.  We are a little generous on the extract measuring. 

In a large bowl, combine the 2 C white whole wheat flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Stir to mix.  Then, add these to the creamed ingredients. 

Add the milk until a dough consistency of sugar cookies is reached. 

Chill the dough until the dough is pliable enough to roll out on a lightly floured surface.  This is usually 10-20 minutes in the freezer or 30-60 minutes in the fridge. 

When the dough is ready, lightly flour a flat counter surface.  Roll out the dough and cut into shapes using cookie cutters.  Ideally, you’ll want the dough around 1/4 inch thick. 

Place the cookies unto an ungreased cookie sheet, sprinkle with sprinkles if desired.

Then, bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes, or until the cookies are lightly browned. 

Cool the cookies on a wire cooling rack for 5-10 minutes before transferring to an airtight container to store. 

If you wish, you can frost the cookies with an anise frosting.  We’ve only made the frosting once or twice, but it’s a fun treat to add to these delicious cookies.  To make the frosting, Combine 1/4 C butter (softened), with 1-2 C powdered sugar, 1/2 – 1 tsp. anise, and 1-3 T milk and blend until smooth.  Decorate as desired. 

Note: 2 batches make about 4 dozen cookies & the cookies freeze well. 

Linked to: Melt in Your Mouth Monday

9 comments:

  1. I just bought Anise extract this weekend...I've never had it before, but have seen several recipes recently using it. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I missed this...but what exactly does Anise taste like? I don't think I've ever heard of it and am very intrigued! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Anise is a big flavoring in Italian cookies and we make anise Biscotti often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cookies to have the kids decorate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. have heard that this flavoring is very delightful I would imagine delicious in this recipe come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never made sugar cookies with anise..sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So lovely cookies!
    Nice finding you!
    Visit me at: my-greek-cooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do they freeze well even with the sprinkles? Or should I toss them in the freezer empty and decorate them later?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can freeze them just fine with the sprinkles!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...