Saturday, June 9, 2012

Buster Bar Dessert

Okay. Warning – this post contains nuts; peanuts.  It will be contaminated and is certainly processed in a space that contains nuts.  For the record, I did not make this dessert – but I have in the past, and it’s amazing. 

When I was younger, before nut processing became what it is today, I could eat peanuts.  In fact, peanuts are a legume – they are part of the bean & pea botanical family – so, some people with a tree nut allergy can actually eat peanuts.  However, the cross-contamination during the processing of the peanuts often make them off-limits for those of us with tree nut allergies. 

That aside, I did eat this dessert as a child and LOVED it.  The chocolate sauce and the cookies along with the ice cream are the best parts – so, you can definitely make this recipe without the peanuts with excellent success!

Buster Bar Dessert – From The Puncochar Family

Ingredients

  • 2 C powdered sugar
  • 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
  • 2/3 C chocolate chips (dark chocolate recommended)
  • 5 T butter, 6 T butter (divided)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 lb. Oreo cookies
  • 1-2 C Spanish peanuts
  • 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened

Directions

Begin by mixing together the 2 C powdered sugar, 1 can evaporated milk, 2/3 C chocolate chips, 5 T butter and 1 tsp. vanilla in a large saucepan.  While stirring constantly, bring the mixture to a boil and then boil for 8-10 minutes.  Cool thoroughly. 

Next up, crush the Oreo cookies and then add the melted butter to the cookies.  Press the cookie mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  Spread 1 C Spanish peanuts over the cookie crust.  Then, chill. 

When the bottom layer is set, spread the softened ice cream over the peanuts.  Then, sprinkle the remaining 1 C peanuts over the ice cream.  Cover with cooked chocolate sauce and freeze overnight. 

Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving, then slice and serve.  Freeze leftovers. 

Enjoy!

End of nut-filled recipe. 

9 comments:

  1. That is so interesting about the nut processing - I never knew! And this dessert looks AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my all time favorite desserts that my mom made while growing up. I can't remember the last time I had this. Will have to make this sometime this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow, i am legit drooling all over my keyboard right now! those look SO incredibly decadent and fantastic! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh i am legit drooling all over my keyboard right now!! those look SO incredibly fantastic! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like a lot of sweets, and rarely bake, but I am thinking I will half this recipe and make it for Fathers Day...looks delicious! And the family will love it, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look sooooooooooooo good!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. are you even kidding me? I can't even tell you how much I want a piece of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oohh, thanks for sharing! I work at a fire station and I might have to surprise the guys with this dessert this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up on this as well! Haven't had it in years! It was often served when all of us cousins were together since 2 9x13 pans serve a ton of people. Sometimes, they would have a pan without nuts for us kids who didn't like them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...