Thursday, June 7, 2012

DIY Mild Italian Sausage Seasoning

Honestly, one thing I haven’t gotten into, nor do I have much interest in, is making my own sausage.  I saw a cow butchered when I was a kid, and even though that didn’t bother me, it’s not something I have the space, time, skills or ability to do! 

Plus, even if I by-passed the whole animal raising thing, I still don’t like handling raw meat. 

All that aside, we have found a good source of organic and hormone/antibiotic free ground turkey.  But, they don’t make it Italian seasoned – and since we use turkey sausage in nearly every recipe (except this soup) we have that calls for Italian sausage, I decided to try seasoning the ground turkey. 

We were pleasantly surprised at the taste of this seasoning – so, I’m sharing the combo of flavors here.  I’m sure that I’ll continue to tweak this recipe to try making some in bulk, but, so far, so good!

DIY Mild Italian Sausage Seasoning

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. ground turkey
  • 2 T minced onion
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. basil
  • 1/2 tsp. turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. salt

Directions

Ideally, you should combine the ground turkey and all the seasonings in a large bowl – mixing them well together.  Then, refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend.  Then, brown and continue onward with your recipe. 

However, we didn’t put that much forethought into the recipe, so I just placed all the spices into the frying pan. 

Then, I browned the ground turkey in the same skillet. 

Easy peasy. 

If you want to make sausage patties, add 1 egg or 1 egg white to the mixture and shape into patties before browning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...