Monday, February 2, 2009

Tomato Basil Bread

I love a hearty bread, so when I saw this recipes for tomato basil bread, I knew I had to try it. The bread was super easy to make and has great flavor. Now, I can make my favorite sandwiches on tomato basil bread just like they make at Panera!

Tomato Basil Bread - Kate @ Cooking During Stolen Moments

1 pkg. active dry yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp. yeast)
3/4 C warm water
2 tsp dried basil
1/4 C grated Parmesan cheese
2 T tomato paste
1 T sugar
1 T olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1 C white bread flour
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour

1. In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in basil, Parmesan cheese, tomato paste, sugar, oil, salt, pepper flakes and 2 C flour (1 C each flour type).

2. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 3-5 minutes.

3. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

4. Punch dough down; knead for 1 minute. Shape into a round loaf. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. With a sharp knife, cut a large X in top of loaf.

5. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.


3 comments:

  1. I just got a kitchenaid mixer for christmas and I am jonesing to use the dough hook. Do you think I could make this dough with the mixer?

    Thanks,

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried it with a dough hook, but I don't see why it wouldn't work to make it in the mixer! I've made other bread doughs using my mixer. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...