Thursday, July 8, 2010

Blueberry Cornmeal Breakfast Cookies


In the mood for something different for breakfast?



How about a cookie?


Soft, yet crunchy. Moist and delicious.

I loved the blueberry cornmeal cookies.

 The cornmeal adds a nice crunch and the berries just a hint of tartness.


Blueberry Cornmeal Breakfast Cookies - Adapted from Out of the Box and into the Kitchen
{Print Recipe}

1 1/3 C wheat flour
2/3 C cornmeal
3 T honey
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 C applesauce
1/2 C buttermilk (or, 1 tsp. lemon juice + 1/2 C milk)
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. lemon zest (zest of 1 lemon)
1 C frozen blueberries

Glaze (optional)
3-4 tsp. lemon juice
1 C powdered sugar

Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.  




Then, cut in honey and applesauce until the mixture is crumbly.  






Add buttermilk, egg and zest and stir until just moist.  






Toss in the frozen blueberries.  Stir gently.  



Then, lightly grease two cookie sheets (or 12 muffin cups).  

Drop dough by the spoonful onto the cookie sheet.  




Makes about 12 cookies.  



Bake at 450 for 13-15 minutes, until cookies are lightly browned and set.  



If desired, make up the glaze by combining the lemon juice and powdered sugar. 
Drizzle on top of cookies.

If you wish to make muffins, fill muffin tins 2/3 of the way full and bake a little longer, 
until a toothpick comes out clean.  


Enjoy!





Photobucket


This recipe is linked to:

21 comments:

  1. I am going to have to try these! I love blueberries and I am always on the hunt for recipes that use cornmeal.

    The Tomato Basil Pasta with Bacon will not let you down. It was beyond delicious> Hope you give it a try.

    Thanks for commenting. I have never been to your site before.
    Very yummy!

    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely going to have to try these. They look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! How delicious do those look!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a tasty looking breakfast treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that looks delicious! I love blueberry muffin tops -- this looks like a great and healthy substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cookies for breakfast! Now that is my type of meal! These look delicious! Can't wait to try them out!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cookies for breakfast! Now that is my type of meal! These look delicious! Can't wait to try them out!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! These look fabulous, I have been in a boredom rut with breakfasts lately. I will definitely give this a try:)

    Cara

    P.S. I loooove the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun breakfast alternative! I'll have to try this one when blueberry season kicks in...

    How crazy are things these days? Are you packing yet???

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a fun idea! I love cornmeal too, I'd like to try these gluten free :)

    ~Aubree Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun, I bet my boys would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I bet these are good and different. What a fun idea for breakfast. I know my boys would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love blueberry desserts so this will be a treat! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I eat breakfast for dinner once a week, and I'm always looking for new ways to mix it up - and these look delicious!

    And of course, I'll actually make these because they're made in a heathful way - whole wheat flour, honey, applesauce - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I eat breakfast for dinner once a week, and I'm always looking for new ways to mix it up - and these look delicious!

    And of course, I'll actually make these because they're made in a heathful way - whole wheat flour, honey, applesauce - thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I definitely will make these this weekend--I love to bake for breakfast. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I was curious as to why they came out more like cookies when you mentioned them, now i know it was the applesauce! but its a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these for breakfast this morning--very yummy and healthy! Mine didn't flatten out into cookies much, but stayed as round balls. No worries, we ate them anyway. :) Also, they seemed a little dry. Next time I might add a few more berries or a little butter for some moisture.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SnoWhite, thanks for the post. You gave me a great idea for Quasi Muffin Tops (you can see it on my blog). Keep up the great work and best of luck with your move!

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  20. I will have to try these yummy cookies out, as long as you promise not to tell the love of my life their is cornmeal in them;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I made something similar to these a couple days ago! I mixed cornmeal, cinnamon, almond milk, honey, baking powder & blueberries together & fried them in coconut oil. They turned out like pancakes & were DELISH!! I would love to try your recipe, but I'll have to sub out the buttermilk & flour... maybe my gluten free baking mix & coconut milk would work... Thank you for sharing this yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...