Monday, December 15, 2008

Cherry Coffee Cake



Truly, a family favorite - and the most requested dessert from my hubby :) My neighbor gets all the credit for this one... it's her recipe, but we love it!  This is Frog Prince's birthday cake of choice.




Cherry Coffee Cake - Modified from the Sellnows

1/2 C light butter or margarine (or, 1/4 C butter, 1/4 C applesauce)
3/4 C sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 C sour cream (fat free works just fine)
2 1/2 C (use up to 1 C whole wheat)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 can cherry pie filling (alternatively, you can make your own with frozen cherries)
1/2 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream together butter and sugar. Beat eggs and add sour cream to the eggs; stir well. Add this to the butter and sugar mixture and cream. Mix flour, salt and soda together and add to the dough mix. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl for topping.

Layer half of the dough in the bottom of a greased 9x13 pan. Pour pie filling over the bottom dough layer. Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon-sugar mix. Top with remaining dough. It works best to plop the dough over the cherries and carefully spread to fill in the holes. Top with remaining dough and sugar mixture. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. 





This recipe is posted at Ultimate Recipe Swap for your signature dish, for Birthday Cake Week, and for Cake Week over at Stop and Smell the Chocolate!

7 comments:

  1. OH, yum! I will have to try making pie filling, as it is something we no longer buy (RED DYE)... but maybe I will do this with my strawberry pie filling... HMMMMMM... OH, you are making me hungry!
    and... THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU for helping with my NAME on Facebook! IT WORKED!!!!
    THANKS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish, esp. with homemade cherry filling. Wow! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yum! Do you think it would be good with peaches instead? I have some frozen and what better way to use them in a dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it might work with frozen peaches, if you warm them and make a pie filling from them... otherwise, I might recommend a recipe I love to use peaches in... berry peach buckle (you can find the link in my left sidebar).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since we no longer do food coloring, I am happy to see a recipe for cherry pie filling.

    Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for yet another great recipe! I made this to celebrate my husband's work promotion and I think he was more excited about the cake than his new job....kidding....kind of :) We all loved this cake!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...