Friday, December 5, 2008

Cheesy Vegetable Lasagna

This is our favorite lasagna recipe, hands down!  We acquired it from a family we met through synchronized swimming.  My sister swam with their daughter and I got to coach them.  If there's one thing you need to know about synchronized swimmers, they love their pasta and veggies, so we couldn't wait to try this one.



Cheesy Vegetable Lasagna - From the Koller Family
{Print Recipe}

1 T olive oil
2 large carrots, shredded (~1 C) {or 1 C carrot puree}
2 C fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 C onion, diced
16 oz tomato sauce
6 oz. tomato paste
2 tsp. dried oregano
10 lasagna noodles, uncooked {I use whole wheat}
1 lb. fresh spinach, raw, and trimmed
1 lb. cottage cheese
1 lb. Monterey Jack Cheese, sliced
1 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated - for top

Cook mushrooms, carrots and onion in olive oil until tender, but not brown.



Stir into veggies the tomato sauce, tomato paste and oregano.


In a greased 9x13 pan, layer: sauce, noodles, cottage cheese,


spinach, Jack cheese, and sauce.


Repeat, beginning with noodles, and ending with sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the top.

Cover {be green... cover with a cookie sheet!} and bake at 375 for 40 minutes. Then, uncover and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes or until noodles are tender and cheese is nicely browned.


Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.


This post is linked to In-Season: Carrots, Bloggy Progressive DinnerIngredient Spotlight.

13 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    Your lasagna with vegetables recipe doesn't list carrots in the ingredients list. How much carrots should be used? Thanks.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon,

    Thanks for letting me know! I updated the recipe -- but it calls for 1 C of grated carrot; which is usually two large carrots. Feel free to use more or less :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All my life I've never thought of covering a dish with a cookie sheet. Brilliant!! After so many times being out of foil and just doing with out.. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks simply amazing. Wow!

    Blessings
    Honey

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing. I just added to it my delicious page. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delish! Can't wait to try it!!! (LOVE your blog, BTW). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this recipe, and have made it twice now, but each time I end up with way too much carrots because your recipe says 2 CUPS of carrots, but I just noticed in your comments that you actually meant 1 cup or 2 carrots. 2 cups makes it too sweet. Still a good recipe though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks incredible! I have one question though. Where on earth do you find whole wheat lasagna? I have looked everywhere, its the one pasta I cannot find in whole wheat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Beth

    We use Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Lasagna -- they make a whole wheat lasagna noodle. If your grocery store carries the healthy harvest whole wheat pasta, then you could ask them to see if they can also get that lasagna! Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this recipe and so do my kids! I use shredded cheese though, because I'm lazy and shredding those darn carrots is enough work for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing, Sarah! I hear you with the carrots... but it's so good when it's all done - I just keep reminding myself of that when I shred the carrots ;-)

      Delete
  11. This recipe is simply amazing! I made it tonight for my boys and myself, and I can't even describe to you how much we ALL enjoyed it! I think my meat loving (such an understatement) husband will enjoy this, which is saying a whole lot since he once threw deli meat on top of his meatless dinner I made, because "you can't eat a meal without some sort of meat" ! Gotta love him :) Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...