Saturday, January 17, 2009

Meatball Tortellini Soup

While we have plenty of favorite soups/stews around here, a soup my mom made for us last year has quickly become one of our favorites.



This soup has great flavor, and is delicious with or without the meatballs. If you go with meatballs, No Name Steak wild rice meatballs are especially yummy... or you can make your own meatballs.  We often use Italian Turkey Sausage -- either links cut up, or ground.


St. Margaret's Charity Meatball Tortellini Soup
Serves 10-12

1 batch, cooked meatballs (or, Jennie-O Sweet Italian sausage, pre-cooked and sliced)
1 medium-sized yellow onion, chopped (we use 1/4 C dried, minced onion)
1 stalk celery, chopped (about 1/3 C)
1 T olive oil
3 - 32 oz cans of chicken broth
1 1/2 C carrots, sliced into 1/2 inch coins
1 - 14.5 oz can of petitie diced tomatoes (stewed also works just fine)
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. minced garlic (2-3 cloves)
1 1/2 C frozen peas
1 bag frozen (or refrigerated) tortellini

In a large soup pot, saute onions and celery in olive oil over medium heat for 5-10 minutes. The onions should look translucent.


Add broth, carrots, tomatoes, meatballs and garlic. Bring to a boil and cook on medium for 10 minutes.

When the carrots are tender, add basil, peas and tortellini.


Bring to a boil again and cook for another 7 minutes until the tortellini are cooked.


Enjoy with a crusty bread or with crackers.

{original archived photo; other photos are updated}


Soup's On!

This post is linked to: Tasty TuesdaySoupaPalooza

9 comments:

  1. My kids have just discovered tortellini. They do not do peas so I may throw in spinach instead. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made extra meatballs last night, perfect for this soup. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always make extra meatball and freeze them. Now I need to go to the store for tortellini. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum. I agree with faithfulmom2 - my kids don't like peas either (and, honestly, neither do I!) but spinach we love. Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spinach would be great too! Or, if your family likes green beans, that would work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy, I think I will try it when my MIL visits this fall! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder if I can toss this in the crockpot??

    ReplyDelete
  8. @CaseyDeuce

    I would think you could! I've never tried it, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Try adding the tortellini about 45 minutes before serving, otherwise, everything else should be fine in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...