Friday, March 13, 2009

Italian Herb Rolls



This is one of our favorite herb breads.


It's crusty/crunchy on the outside, and chewy on the inside.

The bread makes a delicious sandwich.


And, we love it with our Philly Cheese Steak.



Italian Herb Rolls - Modified from Jane

2 1/4 tsp. yeast
1 C warm water + 1 T
1 T sugar
1/8 C olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 T dried basil
1/2 T dried oregano
1/2 tsp. onion flakes
1 C whole wheat flour
2 C bread flour

Combine ingredients in the bread machine, in the order listed by your machine. Mine calls for all the wet ingredients first, and the salt next. Then all the dry ingredients, topped off with the yeast. Set to dough cycle, and let it do the kneading for you!



Alternatively, you can...

Mix the yeast, water and sugar in a bowl and set aside until yeast is activated (you'll see it because it's foamy).

In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients but the flour and stir to combine. Next, add 1.5 C of flour and mix well. Add dry ingredients to the yeasty mix and stir well to combine. Continue adding the remaining 1.5 C of flour until dough stiffens. When stiff, place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes, or until smooth and silky.

Lightly mist a bowl with oil/cooking spray, and place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat the dough with the oil. Cover with a towel and set in a warm place to rise until dough has doubled in size. This takes between 60-90 minutes, depending on the temperature of your kitchen.

Here's where you pick up the recipe if you've made the dough with the bread machine.


Punch down the dough to release air. Divide the dough into hoagie-sized buns (i.e., long, skinny log rolls) and place on a greased cookie sheet spaced a few inches apart. Cover with a towel and let dough rise again for 30-60 minutes, until doubled.



Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or so, and allow buns to cool before splitting and serving.


Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. This looks yummy but I have to say that it looks like a shoe. Like a clog or something. Isn't that funny! That's what I see anyway. Still I would enjoy eating it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, like a dutch shoe :) I can see that. thanks for being creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Thanks for posting this, I will definitely be making these this weekend. Can I post the recipe and link back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, ha! It does look like Klompen, a "wooden shoe". I got all excited thinking maybe you were Dutch. (My in-laws are) Was thinking you threw out a Dutch recipe.
    I must admit that I am going to be baking today and I will have to add this to the wheat bread I am going to tackle today. I can't wait. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you like it!
    It is one of our family favorites.
    :)
    Thanks for linking to me. I think that is the first time someone has done that!
    Thanks,
    Jane
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I bet leftovers (if there were any) would make great garlic bread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many rolls did you get when you made this? I was going for breadsticks, but not sure I'll get enough, even with the recipe doubled.
    The whole wheat looks like a great addition though. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am trying this recipe out tonight...my kitchen smells heavenly:).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...