Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Grandma's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies


Growing up, I remember spending time at Grandma's. We'd almost always make cookies :)


Grandma and I would mix up the dough, and then Grandpa would sneak in to the kitchen, grab two spoons (or 3, if my sister was there too), and get some cookie dough. Then we'd enjoy the cookie dough together.


I almost remember the dough better than the cookies -- but to this day, Grandma's house smells just like these cookies.


Grandma's Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies - Grandma VS
{Print Recipe}

2 C shortening (or 1 C butter, 1 C shortening)
2 C white sugar
1 C brown sugar
4 eggs
4 C flour
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
1-2 tsp. vanilla
12 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips

Cream sugars and butter together.


Add eggs one at a time, mixing briefly after each addition. Add vanilla, soda and salt and cream. Add in flour and chocolate chips. Refrigerate several hours, or overnight.

Drop by spoonful onto a greased cookie sheet.


Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes, or until browned.


Makes about 6 dozen cookies.


Note: dough freezes well. Simply scoop out individual cookies portions onto a cookie sheet or into a pan, cover and freeze until solid. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to use. You may also shape dough into a roll to have your own slice and bake cookies. Grandma always seems to have these in the freezer :)

2 comments:

  1. This is the exact recipe my Granny used! I think it is the best-ever recipe. Shortening is the key I think. Most recipes now days use butter and we don't like them as well. I do the 1/2 shortening 1/2 butter sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea about slicing a frozen roll. I'll try it for post-baby.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...