Sunday, April 26, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Dump Cake



My grandma has this amazing recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Dump Cake -- but, since Frog Prince can't have strawberries, we modified it to be a cherry pineapple dump cake. Since I posted that recipe, many folks have been interested in grandma's original recipe, so without further ado, I present...

Grandma's Strawberry Rhubarb Dump Cake

4 C rhubarb
1 C sugar
3 T corn strach
1 box (4 servings) Strawberry Jello
1 small can crushed pineapple
1 box dry yellow cake mix
1/2 C butter
1/2 C coconut

Combine rhubarb, sugar and cornstarch in a pan and heat until warm; stirring frequently as rhubarb cooks and becomes thick. When thicken, pour rhubarb into a 9x13 glass pan. Sprinkle with strawberry jello and 1 can of crushed pineapple (do not drain, use the juice!).

Meanwhile, mix together cake mix and butter until crumbly. Stir in coconut. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture.

Bake at 350 for 60-70 minutes.

*If you wish to make a bottom crust, place 1/2 of the cake mixture over the bottom of the cake pan and press to form. Bake crust for 10 minutes at 350. Then pour cooked rhubarb over the top and follow the directions above.

If you want more fruit filling, feel free to add fresh (or frozen) strawberries to the rhubarb mix while thickening with sugar and corn starch.

Dump cake is such an easy and crowd-pleasing dessert that I bring it when there is a crowd to feed.  Making 2 batches the same amount of time and it feeds double the people! 

Linked to: URS: Feeding a Crowd EditionIngredient Spotlight,

4 comments:

  1. Sounds easy and delicious! Another for my "must try" list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this one I have a my own rhubarb cobbler recipe that I use this same combination of rhubarb and strawberry jello in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not rhubarb people, so I'm with you on the cherry-pineapple. May have to make this - I think I have a cake mix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should conquer my rhubarb aversion. I like the addition of coconut to this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...