Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Cheesy Crackers


Confession time: we LOVE Cheez-Its. I know, I know, this is a blog about healthy cooking, eating less packaged foods and trying to make things from scratch. But, we have one down fall. Those crispy, cheesy, delicious crackers.


But, MOVE OVER CHEEZ-ITS... there's a new guy in town. Laura, over at Heavenly Homemakers posted a 5-ingredient whole wheat version of these cheesy crackers. I made them today and they are delicious. We should have doubled the batch. The only change from Laura's recipe was to use extra sharp cheddar cheese, and an extra tablespoon of cold water (because I had trouble getting the dough to form into a ball). They are tasty.

Cheesy Crackers - Modified from Laura @ Heavenly Homemakers

1/4 C butter, softened
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 C (+ a little extra) extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and at room temperature
1 C whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 T cold water

Cream together butter and salt until creamy.

Then, stir in the cheese.

Mix together dry ingredients and add to the butter/cheese mix. Add ice cold water, 1 T at a time, stirring to get ingredients to clump together to form a ball.

I had trouble getting a ball to form... so I needed a bit more water.

Place cracker dough on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Roll out crackers to about 1/8 inch thickness. [note, my dough was hard to work with, I ended up using my hands and packing it down]

Cut the crackers into 1-inch squares using a pizza cutter.


Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes, until crackers are lightly browned.

Then, turn off oven and allow crackers to crisp up in the oven.

Break apart crackers and store in an airtight container, that is, if you have any left :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't wait to make these. I've made a few types of flat bread lately but haven't ventured too far into the cracker world. These look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I've always wanted to make crackers, but never have...I'll have to try these out. 1st time to your site and I'm off to look some more, but you've got me hooked by the first recipe so I'm imagining the rest is good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really don't care for real Cheez-its, but with its whole wheat flour and real cheese I know my family would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! These look so yummy.....

    Thanks for stopping by today. I was SO stirred by looking at this story afresh and was praying that others would be as well. Like you, I have to remember that Jesus is IN MY BOAT! :)

    Blessings,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice and easy and no processed foods chemicals either. Most of us don't even think of trying crackers, but looks like we should start making them.

    I have a Lovely Blog Award waiting for you on my blog.
    http://joyofdesserts.blogspot.com/2009/05/lovely-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love cooking from scratch, but have never attempted making crackers. These look fun to make and something my family would like. And I have all the ingredients; can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made these today, very delish and super easy. Thanks for posting. I noticed on the original recipe she used baking powder instead of soda. Mine turned out fine using soda but I wonder if the moisture thing had to do with that? I don't know. Thanks for posting this, my boys love them:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. my daughter loves cheeze-its so much that we got her a box of them for Christmas one year! (that was before we started trying to eat less processed foods!!:)) These look great, I am going to make them for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. just made these! Delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...