Sunday, May 10, 2009

Orange Cranberry Muffins


We've been on a muffin kick lately for our weekend breakfasts.



And, really -- what's not to love about a healthy cupcake ;)


This orange cranberry muffin comes from our kitchen - and it's a recipe we've come to love.  They make a great breakfast, snack and dessert!

Orange Cranberry Whole Wheat Muffins


Muffins
1/3 C brown sugar
1/2 C Orange juice
1 tsp. orange zest (optional)
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 C applesauce
1 C cranberries (I used Craisins)
2/3 C whole wheat flour
2/3 C white flour (or more whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Topping
1/4 c oats, quick-cook or old fashioned
2 T brown sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon


In a small bowl, mix topping ingredients and set aside.


In a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, baking powder and cinnamon with a wire whisk.


In a large bowl, mix egg, sugar, vanilla, applesauce and orange juice (along with zest, if desired), using a wire whisk.


Then, stir in cranberries (using a spatula or wooden spoon).


Pour dry ingredients into wet ones and stir until just moist.


Fill muffin tins (12 regular sized muffins, or 6 jumbo muffins) 2/3 of the way full. I've fallen in love with my jumbo muffin tins :) They're big and moist and they help me only eat 1.


If you use muffin liners, please spray them first!


Sprinkle each evenly with topping.


Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.



Enjoy warm with a big cup of tea.


These muffins make excellent gifts! You can make them mini, regular or jumbo in size, or even make them into a mini loaf of bread. The flavors are wonderfully refreshing at Christmastime, as a break from all the chocolate!


This post is linked to:
Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe Swap,
Fall Foods Festival: Cranberries,
Cupcake Tuesday
URS: Food Gifts
In-Season Swap: Oranges
Ingredient Spotlight

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, they sound wonderful !!
    Claudia at Claudia’s Irish Eyes
    claudiafranson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe, Thank you for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound so delicious!! And they look so nice with that topping too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sooooooooo bookmarking this recipe!! It sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cranberrys and oj together. Thanks for joining the party at Cupcake Tuesday!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saved these! They look wonderful! I might make these later in the week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just made these since I had everything I needed! AWESOME! I've saved it so I can make DOZENS more. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...