Monday, June 29, 2009

4th of July Cherry Berry Dessert




Two Three years ago on the 4th of July, Frog Prince and I wanted some festive dessert to celebrate. We had cherries and blueberries. Red and Blue. All we needed was some white cake...!

4th of July Cherry Berry Dessert - Finding Joy in My Kitchen Original
{Print Recipe}

~1 C cherries, fresh
~1.5 C blueberries, fresh

Dough
1/4 C butter
1/4 C applesauce
3/4 C brown sugar
2 C flour (I used 1 C whole wheat)
1 1/2 C milk
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt


Topping
~ 1 C sugar
2 T corn starch
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
1/2 C boiling water


Melt butter and then cream in the sugar and applesauce.





Mix together dry ingredients and add them to the wet ones; stir until moist. The dough will resemble a thicker pancake batter.





Spread dough in a greased 9x13 glass baking dish.



Sprinkle the cherries and blueberries over the dough and top with cinnamon and nutmeg, to taste.





YUM





Mix together the sugar and cornstarch. Sprinkle over the berries. Yes, this seems like a lot of sugar -- you can likely cut it down to 3/4 C, depending on the tartness/sweetness of your berries.



Boil 1/2 C water and carefully pour the water over the top of the cake mixture. Strange, I know -- trust me. It's good.



Bake at 350 for 1-1.5 hours, or until cake is set in the center. This dessert will be gooey... just make sure the center is set before serving.



Serve with white whipped cream and you have a red, white and blue festive dessert!



Photobucket

This recipe is linked to:



18 comments:

  1. Great dessert for the 4th. I like your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually looks really good and it sounds like it's very simple to make. I am definitely adding this to my recipe binder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks very easy and very yummy! Cherries and blueberries sounds like a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cherries and blueberries. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks so good!!! I have blueberries but no cherries.. I do have strawberries.. Humm...wonderering if that would work? Thanks for the recipe and thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it that it's homemade. That always tastes better than a box.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this recipe missing some liquid ingredients? I followed your directions and the dough was stiff, like cookie dough! I ended up adding eggs, milk, and vanilla. We'll see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sooooo scrumptious! Cherry seems to be the fruit for 4th of July. I have never baked with cherries before but I will try out your recipe. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks really lovely - I so enjoy fresh fruit in cakes and desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cherries don't get used enough! This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, Yum, YUM!! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing at tasty tuesdays. Feel free to come back next Tuesday and share more great ideas.

    alicia @ a beautiful mess

    ReplyDelete
  13. All these tasty desserts for the holiday weekend - I'm going to gain 20 pounds! Thanks so much. It really looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so good! Visiting you from Tasty Tuesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks really good and i bet it tastes really good!
    Thanks for linking up!
    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...