Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Craisin Oatmeal Granola Bars



I'm still in search of a "perfect" granola bar recipe... but I had to try Katie's recipe because it looked so simple to put together. It uses sweetened condensed milk as a binder... and I used Pheobe's recipe to make my own sweetened condensed milk!

1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk (or make your own)
3 1/2 C "Old Fashioned" oats
1 C dried cranberries or raisins
1 C Rice Krispies
1/8 C whole wheat flour

Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and spray a 9x13 inch glass baking dish.


Warm the condensed milk in a small pan on the stove or in a microwave safe dish for 90 seconds (if you make your own, just make it in the saucepan and then turn the heat on).




Meanwhile, mix all the other ingredients together.




Then, add the warmed condensed milk, using a rubber spatula to fold and distribute.




Spread the mixture into the oiled or foil pan and press down with your hands to make the surface even.


Bake for 1 hour, remove, and after about 15 minutes, cut in half lengthwise, and then into 1-inch wide bars. Make sure you cut while they are warm... or your arms will get a good workout ;)


Allow to cool and store in airtight containers.

7 comments:

  1. Oooh, that would be yummy with craisins! :D I'll definitely have to try the swt cond milk recipe, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm i <3 craisins....

    try my chewy granola bars ^_^ theyre a hit at the office and at home. people *beg* me to make these... http://terrorinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/05/chewy-granola-bars.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, never thought of making homemade granola bars and these look yummy. Gonna give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious to try the recipe for sweetened condensed milk. I made these once with evaporated milk instead...um, not the same. They obviously fell apart. What was I thinking? :) I should have made a run to the store!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for a simple recipe for these and this looks like the one! Thanks, I'm gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kids love granola bars, but they are SO expensive, so I never buy them. I'll have to try these this summer and see if the kids like these. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Can you do it without the rice crispies? Or would it be too dense?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...