Friday, June 12, 2009

Homemade Pasta



Homemade Noodles - Mom's Noodle Recipe ... made into spaghetti noodles!

2 eggs / 1 C flour
salt and pepper to taste

(estimate about 1 egg/person...)

Pour flour into a bowl, and make a well in the center of the flour. Crack your eggs into the well, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use your hands (or start with a fork) to mush the dough/eggs together. [I used 1 egg + 1 egg white, since we needed the yolk for accompanying Alfredo sauce!]


Plop the dough onto a lightly floured surface -- knead until smooth (you will need to add more flour as you knead). Let the dough rest for about 10 minutes.


Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface as thin as possible. The noodles expand a great deal when boiled -- so don't worry about getting them too thin ;-)


Cut the noodles really thin -- I liked using a pizza cutter for this.



Then, start some water boiling. Add some salt (very important -- do not omit!). Toss in the noodles and cook for 2-4 minutes ... these little guys cook really fast -- so don't over cook 'em.



Don't they just look cute :) I was very proud of my pasta !


Serve with your favorite sauce -- we chose our homemade Alfredo :)


These noodles were great and so easy to make! Since then, I've made homemade ravioli with this recipe, and have used white whole wheat in combination with whole wheat flour (1:1 ratio) which made a delicious whole wheat pasta!!

You can find more recipes at Grocery Cart Challenge's Recipe SwapFriday Feasts, and Ingredient Spotlight.

13 comments:

  1. Okay .. your pasta without a machine looks much prettier than mine did! Since I tried making pasta, I actually found a cheap, used, pasta maker and I swooped it! It is so great! It makes the whole process a lot easier and less time consuming, plus I can make a variety of widths and thicknesses. Making homemade pasta still isn't something that I've done too much of though. If I could figure out a way to make a bunch at once and store it, I might. Last time I tried freezing it but it just clumped together when I cooked it. I've made white and whole wheat, both are so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! I'm so intimadated to make my own pasta, you make it look easy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is how my grandma taught me to make noodles. I always use them for chicken and noodles and man are they yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! You make it look so easy. Those are some pretty noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, homemade noodles! I will definitely have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been wanting to try my hand at homemade noodles (my husband's favorite dish is beef and noodles!). Your recipe and tutorial looks simple enough for me to give it a whirl! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just bought a clearance priced pasta machine to make my own noodles. Thanks for the great recipe. I really enjoy your blog. In inspires me to try new things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was making your noodles last night and while the dough was resting my mom called. I said something about cutting them with a knife (our pizza cutter disappeared). She told me to roll the dough and then cut it like cinnamon rolls. It worked SO well!
    And they were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is the same homemade pasta recipe that i use. I've tries others in the past but this one is the best. turns out perfect every time

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do these noodles have the same texture as store-bought after they're cooked? Just curious. I definitely want to try it out either way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have a similar texture to store-bought FRESH pasta, but not boxed, dried pasta. Does that help?

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...