Sunday, June 7, 2009

No-Oil Versatile Muffins



Muffins have become a family favorite at our house lately. Made with whole wheat and no oil/butter, this recipe is our muffin of choice!

No-Oil Versatile Muffins - Snow White

1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C milk (or OJ for an orange-based muffin)
1 egg white
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 C applesauce
1 C add-ins of your choice (fresh or frozen fruit, choc. chips, etc.,)
2/3 C whole wheat flour
2/3 C white flour (or more whole wheat)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon


In a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, baking powder and cinnamon with a wire whisk.


In a large bowl, mix egg, sugar, vanilla, applesauce and milk (or OJ), using a wire whisk.


Pour dry ingredients into wet ones and stir until just moist. Then, gently fold in raspberries.


or, raspberries and blueberries,


or pineapple tidbits, or cherries and chocolate chips, or oatmeal and raisins... the possibilities are endless!


Then, fill muffin tins (12 regular sized muffins, or 6 jumbo muffins) 2/3 of the way full.




Bake at 350 for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Some modification ideas....

Lemonade rather than milk + blueberries = lemon blueberry
Lemonade rather than milk + raspberries = lemon raspberry
Add in 1/2 C Old-Fashioned Oats + raisins = oatmeal raisin
Add in 2 T cocoa powder + dried fruit of your choice = chocolate (cherry)!
OJ + chocolate chips = Orange chocolate

The possibilities of these are nearly endless. You can also add a fun topping -- 1/2 C oats, 2 T brown sugar and 1/8 tsp. cinnamon; just sprinkle on top before baking, pressing lightly into the muffin mix.

This post is linked to:



13 comments:

  1. Yum. I don't do well with making things for breakfasts. We're pretty boring around here. I eat smoothies and he eats cereal. I have thought about trying to make muffins each week but I never remember to. I should try these for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. im making these now.... strawberries and dehydrated fig pieces (random sale item!).... i tasted the batter .... just to make sure it wasnt poison. standard precaution when i cook. the batter was SPECTACULAR!!! i used premade cinnamon flavored applesauce. i cant wait for them to come out of the oven.

    THANKS SO MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love basic recipes like this! Thanks! You've been duly Stumbled :)

    Joy @ Five J's

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love muffins. Great recipe! I love that you included instructions for all the different flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love muffins and am always looking for healthy but tasty recipes. I want to try the lemonade/blueberry combo. Sounds soooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lemonade raspberry sounds SO good! Thanks for sharing this recipe =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I love all the combinations! We love muffins. I hadn't ever thought of trying lemonade in mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great muffin recipe. Thanks for all the variation ideas!! Thanks for the TMTT recipe link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look good and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How do you think these would work with frozen rhubarb?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be making these this week. Thank you for all of the wonderful recipes you share!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know why it is that I JUST found this ... but I know a little guy who's going to be real glad I did! Looks a lot yummier than my normal muffin base ... which is pretty darn yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just made our first batch!
    http://muffinfixation.blogspot.com/2010/03/chocolate-strawberry-banana-muffins.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...