Monday, June 22, 2009

Pasta and Zucchini

Don't you just love Pioneer Woman's recipes? I always seem to browse her site when I'm hungry. Mistake #1. Then, I think -- oh, lets make that for dinner. Mistake #2. Why is it a mistake? Well, I usually don't have exactly everything on hand to use to make her delicious dishes....thus, I improvise.



Tonight, we struck gold. This pasta is delicious. Not quite like Pioneer Woman... but, it will work for us!

Pasta and Zucchini - Modified from Pioneer Woman

1/2 lb. pasta (we used mini Penne)*
2 medium zucchini, quartered
14 oz. diced tomatoes (fresh cherry tomatoes, or canned)
8 oz. mushrooms, quartered
1/2 onion, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T olive oil
1/2 C light whipping cream
2/3 C chicken broth
1 T flour
salt and pepper, to taste
chives and basil, to taste (PW recommends fresh)

*you may need more pasta, up to 1 lb.

Start by cutting the veggies into quarters. Then, heat oil over medium heat and add zucchini. Sprinkle with salt.



Cook until zucchini is just starting to get tender -- you don't want it to get mushy. Then, remove from the pan and set aside.



Then, start the water for your pasta.



In the same skillet, add garlic, onion and mushrooms, and saute.





Then, add in the tomatoes, and 1/3 C broth. Add 1 T flour to the remaining 1/3 C of broth and mix well. Then, add to the tomato mix.



Add in 1/2 C whipping cream. Stir until slightly thickened.



Then, add back in the zucchini.



Season with pepper and allow to simmer for just a few minutes.

Drain the pasta and pour into a serving dish.


Season with herbs, to taste.



Pour the sauce over the top....



Then toss, adding more herbs as desired.



To serve, top with Parmesan cheese.



Yummy. Next time, I think we'll be adding grilled chicken to this great and quick pasta.

And, note to self -- continue to browse Pioneer Woman's recipes .... they'll be great even if you don't make as directed.

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

9 comments:

  1. love pioneer woman!! your adaptation looks good, too. her chicken spaghetti & also the apple dumplings are so, so good! i'm going to try her pasta primavera tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one looks like something my family would just gobble up. They love anything with noodles! I've never tried a Pioneer Recipe before, I'll have to go check out her site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too often find myself without the necessary ingredients and end up making up my own recipe using theirs as a base. This looks good. It might be more veggies than my kids would eat, but with the pieces bit enough they could scoop them out. Oh and if you like shrimp try shrimp instead of chicken. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Audrey, my kids might feel the need to pick out the squash. But it looks wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I love PW recipes, and this looks just excellent. We have tons of zucchini so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks really good, I always prefer a homemade sauce rather than something canned or from a bottle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! This looks delish! I love PW, too but make our own modifications. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog. I added it to my feed reader. I made this recipe last night and it was great. When looking at the sauce, I thought it was too much for 1/2 of dried pasta so I used a pound of fettucine and it was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made this for dinner - it was delicious! You suggested added chicken, but I added white beans and shrimp - yum!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...