Monday, June 8, 2009

Spinach and Mushroom Manicotti




I had never made manicotti before -- honestly, filling delicate pasta seemed way too labor intensive. But, putting this dish together was actually quite quick... and it was so tasty!

We got the base recipe for our wedding shower... and we added in mushrooms to make it super-de-duper (because we love mushrooms).

Spinach and Mushroom-Stuffed Manicotti - Modified from the Crump Family

1 box manicotti
2 T olive oil
6 oz mushrooms, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 T basil, dried
1 (6oz) bag spinach, chopped
2 egg white
1 (15oz) container Ricotta cheese
2 C homemade spaghetti sauce
Mozzarella cheese (or Parmesan)

Cook manicotti according to directions, and set aside.




Heat oil and saute garlic and mushrooms for about 5 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until leaves are wilted (we used frozen, so we cooked until warm). 



Cool in a bowl and then strain to drain liquids (if there are any).

Beat eggs, add ricotta, basil and salt.



Then, stir in the mushroom mixture.

Pour 1 1/2 C of sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking dish. 



Fill the manicotti with the mushroom mixture and place in the baking dish on top of the spaghetti sauce. 








Pour the remaining sauce over the manicotti and sprinkle with Parmesan or Mozzarella cheese (or both!).


Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Then, uncover and bake on the top rack for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melted.



Serves 6.


Linked to: URS, Your Recipe, My Kitchen, Mangia Monday 

8 comments:

  1. yum! I made something quite similar at christmas time at my in-laws. I had never tried it before either, for the same reasons as you. But I was pleasantly surprised that it was not overly difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great--in terms of "labor", we once made something like this with "shells" and I think they are easier to fill:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some manicotti in my pantry just itching to be made into this. Thanks for the recipe and the other zucchini recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think I need to try this one - it looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just in case you ever wanted to make this the night before you don't have to cook the shells. You just put your filling in a Ziplock bag and cut off one corner and fill the shells *uncooked* and put them in the pan with the sauce and let sit overnight and cook it the next day. I usually do this, but I often freeze mine the same way and when I let it thaw overnight the shells are always soft. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word! This sounds so divine! I'll be trying it next week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know the nutrition info for this recipe...fat grams, fiber, calories?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...