Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cherry Crisp



It's no secret around here that Frog Prince loves cherries. We had an abundance of fresh sweet cherries that we've been enjoying in the past couple of weeks, and some of the cherries were getting a little soft, so we decided to make a cherry dessert. This hit the spot and would be delicious with homemade vanilla ice cream!

Cherry Crisp - SnoWhite

2 C cherries, pitted and cut in half
1/2 C sugar
3 T corn starch
1 tsp. + 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, divided
1/4 C whole wheat flour
1/4 C white flour
1/4 C brown sugar, packed
1/2 C oats (I used Old Fashioned)
3-4 T butter, soft (but not melted)

Clean, pit and cut the cherries (yes, your stained fingers will be worth it).



Combine 1/2 C white sugar with corn starch and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Stir well.


(no, you don't need to use a pot... it's just what I had that was ready to be used!)

Add cherries and toss to coat.



Lightly grease an 8x8 inch square baking dish, and pour coated cherries into the dish. Then, preheat your oven to 375.



Meanwhile, mix together the flours, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon.



Stir well. Then, add the soft butter. Stir to combine.




(don't steal any -- it's not good for you, to steal, that is.).

Sprinkle the deliciousness over the cherries.





Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, or until cherries are bubbly and the topping is slightly browned.



Serve warm... but not too warm --



you don't want it to melt your ice cream too quickly.



Or, maybe you do. It was still delicious.



Serves 4-6 (or 2 people, twice!)

This recipe is linked to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and Tasty Tuesday!

10 comments:

  1. yum. delicious. our cherries are all gone but i've got lots in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks oh so delicious. My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah ha....That's what I'm going to make with my leftover cherries! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have cherries!! Yeah because this recipe looks great. Thanks for joining TMTT this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was perfect with "leftover" cherries -- a great way to use up the bottom of the bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum!! I am going to have to try this, I just bought a huge bag of cherries yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness my mouth is watering, this dish looks so yummy. I think I'll have to copy and paste it to my recipe folder. Definitely want to try it next time I have my inlaws over :-)
    Thanks for stopping by my blog today too. I look forward to reading more of your posts and recipes.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by my neck of the woods! I agree that the frozen hot chocolate sounded pretty wonderful!

    This dessert sounds great. I just froze some tart cherries that a person who frequents our Starbucks gave me. They will make for some yummy eating when the fresh fruit is not so plentiful. I'll keep your recipe in mind!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is your trick for pitting the cherries? I had a bunch of cherries around but did not want to go to the work of pitting them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great way to use cherries! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...