Friday, August 21, 2009

Garden Vegetable Lasagna



This recipe from Cooking Light, was originally titled SPRING Vegetable Lasagna.  But, seeing as it's nearly fall and I could still find all the yummy veggies in-season at the farmers market, I considered calling it "Autumn" Lasagna.  But, for simplicity sake, it's just Garden Veggie Lasagna, and boy, is it filling and tasty.

Garden Vegetable Lasagna - Modified from Cooking Light

1/2 pkg. frozen spinach, thawed
2 C yellow squash, chopped
1 C zucchini, chopped
1 C onion, diced
1 C red/orange/yellow bell pepper, diced
1 C shredded carrot
1/4 tsp. salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 T flour
1 1/2 C milk
1/4 C Parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
1 C fat-free cottage cheese
1 tsp. oregano, dried
1 C Asiago cheese, shredded and divided
6 whole wheat lasagna noodles

Lightly grease an 8-inch square glass baking dish.

Then, saute 2 garlic cloves, spinach, peppers, carrots and squash in a frying pan over medium heat until crisp/tender.  Season with a bit of salt and pepper.



While veggies cook, combine flour and 1 C milk and whisk until flour and milk are well mixed. Pour mixture into a saucepan, add remaining milk and 2 cloves of garlic (minced) and heat over medium heat until mixture thickens. Stir constantly and cook for 4-5 minutes, until thick and creamy. Remove from the heat.



Stir in 1/8-1/4 C Parmesan cheese allowing the heat from the sauce to melt the cheese.



Prepare the cottage cheese layer by combining cottage cheese, oregano and 2/3 C Asiago cheese.





Then, in the bottom of the greased 8x8 pan, spread a little bit of the Parmesan cheese sauce. Take two noodles, and break them apart to top.



(oh, now you can pre-heat your oven to 375 too).

Layer the half of the cottage cheese mix over the noodles, and then half of the veggies.



Top with roughly half of the Parmesan sauce (you'll want to reserve some for the top), and noodles. Then repeat the layers ending with noodles. Cover the noodles with remaining sauce, and then sprinkle with the Parmesan and Asiago cheeses.



Bake at 375 (uncovered) for 45ish minutes. Remove lasagna from the oven and let it stand for 15ish minutes until set.



The lasagna was great -- good flavor and very filling. It was a little juicy the first night (we didn't really want to wait 15ish minutes before eating), but was perfect the next day warmed up as leftovers.

This recipe is linked to Tasty Tuesday.  

12 comments:

  1. Hi. Thanks for your comment. I hope you will decide to submit something to the cookie round-up next month! =)

    And by the way, this lasagna looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a lovely recipe and you have a beautiful blog. I'll be back often. I've become a follower. I hope you'll join me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new layout! It's cute!!
    And this lasagna looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking for a veggie lasagna recipe! Perfect timing, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I stopped by, this is a great blog. I can't wait to try some of your recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job with the pictures. I feel as if I am in your kitchen. Thanks so much for stopping by on Friday. Hope to see you again this week.

    http://momtrends.blogspot.com/2009/08/friday-feast-momtrends-summer-chicken.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a YUMMY!!! recipe. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite magazines. Thanks for sharing. I hope to see you at Crock Pot Wednesday on diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Thanks again for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. would this freeze well? I'm making some freezer casseroles for a family who just lost two children in a fire and this looks like a great meal....

    ReplyDelete
  10. @momwhoprays05

    Honestly, I haven't ever frozen this recipe... I'd guess it would freeze okay, but a red sauce dish, like our three-cheese ziti might freeze a bit better than a cream based one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your blog and made this last night for dinner. To be honest, I combined it with a Betty Crocker recipe and heavily modified both. So you inspired my dish at least! I used ricotta rather than cottage cheese and added about 4 tablespoons of pesto. I loved the flavor it added. I'm trying to make more meatless meals and this is a perfect one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful to hear! I'm glad you were inspired to be creative in your kitchen.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...