Saturday, August 15, 2009

Good 'Ol Corn Dogs

State Fair season is just around the corner.  Yum.  Not good for me, but, yummy.  Growing up, we hit 2 fairs each year, the smaller county fair that my parents attended growing up, and the big kahuna - THE STATE FAIR. 

I love our state fair.  And, apparently so do many others.  It's repeadidly been given the title of #1 fair in the country.  It's huge, and wonderful, and did I mention everything is on a stick?  

Seriously.  Everything.  More than 60 food options, on a stick. 

Spaghetti?  Yep, on a stick.

Cheesecake?  Yep, on a stick.

Eggroll?  On a stick.

Key Lime Pie?  On a stick.

Deep Fried Milkway?  On  a stick.

Pizza?  On a stick.

Hotdish?  On a stick. 

Local Walleye?  On a stick.

Belgian waffle (called a Fudge Puppy)?  On a stick.

Wildrice corn dog?  You guessed it, on a stick.

and, just in case all that food doesn't make you feel so great -- there's even Pepto-Bismol (on a stick).

Since I currently don't live close enough to make it to the great get-together, I thought I'd try my hand at making something you can find at the fair:  Corn Dogs!  Although, sorry to disappoint - I didn't make them on a stick.

Baked Corn Dogs - Modified from Jessica

1 C whole wheat (or all purpose) flour
2/3 C cornmeal
2 T honey (or sugar)
2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 C milk
1 egg
2 T oil
10 hot dogs

Whisk together the dry ingredients.  Then, make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and add in the egg, milk, oil and honey.



Whisk and stir to combine.



Lightly dust the hotdogs with flour. Roll to coat.



Drop the hotdog into the batter. Coat well.



Lay the hotdogs on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.



Preheat the oven to 375. Pop these guys in the oven and cook for about 20 minutes, until they are lightly browned.



Of course, you can insert a stick to make them more authentic. I just went the easy way :)

Or, Laura has a great idea of putting the hot dogs into corndog muffins :)

These were great and really easy to make.  I love that they are baked and thus a little bit healthier too!  Ahhh... a little taste of the fair right in my own home.

This post is linked to: Food on Fridays.

4 comments:

  1. Pepto bismol on a stick? You've got to be kidding me. That is awesome. Those look quite tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered why any state fair I've been to since living in Minnesota seems wimpy by comparison. My kids would LOVE it if I made something fun like this for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this recipe, thank you!!! Are you in Mn???

    ReplyDelete
  4. The state fair is so inspiring! Thanks for this healthy alternative to the fried kind.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...