Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cinnamon Zucchini Cake



This recipe is a family favorite. My mom and grandma used to make this recipe and it brings back sweet memories of enjoying zucchini cake on the deck together.

Cinnamon Zucchini Cake - Mom

Cake
4 eggs
1 1/2 C oil (I used 1 C applesauce, 1/2 C oil)
3 C sugar
3 C flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 C raisins
3 C grated zucchini

Cream Cheese Frosting
3 T butter, softened
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 T milk/cream
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 C powdered sugar

Beat eggs in a mixer. Add in oil and sugar and beat until blended



Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon and salt.



Add to egg mixture and mix to combine.



Stir in the zucchini and raisins.





Spread into a greased 9x13 and a 9x9 glass baking dish (yes, this makes a lot of cake).



Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.



To make the frosting, cream together the softened butter and cream cheese.



Then, add in the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.



Whip until desired consistency is reached.



I often store the frosting in the fridge and then just frost the pieces as we need them.



Like, for our Labor Day picnic!



When I got to use this awesome tray from my dear friend.





Enjoy!

This post is linked to Tasty Tuesday, Save Room For Dessert and Friday Feasts.

15 comments:

  1. That looks REALLY good. I have to admit, I'm intimidated by grating zucchini. Do you grate the peel, too? What do you do with the seeds? This is why I have never made zucchini bread or cake!

    Elizabeth from MomCooks

    ReplyDelete
  2. How would this taste with a streusel topping? It could be a great coffee cake for weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am going to make this tonight! I have extra zucchini and need to use it up. Thanks for the photos too - It is nice to watch it come together. Do you ever freeze what is left over? There are only 2 of us, so I hate to be eating the same cake for a week! Would love to know if you have had success freezing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I am allllll about frosting, lol:)

    Blessings,
    Cara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely have to try this. It looks wonderful. I would love for you to join me at Diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com for Crock Pot Wednesday. It's easy, fun and economical! Come on over and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this tonight and wow - yummy!!! I stuck the large 9x13 one in the freezer after I cut it into thirds and I have kept the small 9x9 size to enjoy over the next few days. Thanks so much for the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - that picture made me so hungry!! This sounds scrumptions!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh this looks even better than my zucchini bread, especially with that yummy cream cheese frosting. I love anything with that on it! I think I'll have to try this for a change to the bread - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this looks so delicious, and sure makes me wish I would have shredded some of my garden zucchini before freezing it, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful recipe! I can almost taste it now! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute "masterpiece" tray; I like it! :-) Thank you for participating in Save Room for Dessert Wednesday. Looks like a nice recipe, and it sounds really moist and tasty with the zucchinis, applesauce, and of course that cream cheese frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love zucchini, even better in a cake. THANKS!!! for the YUMMY!!! recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the icing. Sorry I am late, checking in with all the chefs...busy week getting the kids back to school. Thanks so much for stopping in at Momtrends and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooooooo looks yummy! I don't like raisins so I would omit them though. :)

    Another recipe to add to my list of things to try with the shredded zucchini that I have in my freezer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a huge zucchini to use and made 2 of your recipes. This one is so yummy! I didn't even make the frosting. Its good just the way it is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...