Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Homefries

Our chef of the week is Anne Burrell. Anne had a great looking recipe for Fingerling Homefries on the Food Network that I decided I would try out. The only problem was, I wasn't able to find Fingerling potatoes. So, I improvised. While these potatoes were tasty, I bet they would have been even better with a smaller potato.

Photobucket


Homefries - Adapted from Anne Burrell

4 potatoes (Anne recommend 1 lb. fingerling potatoes)
salt, to taste
1 medium onion, chopped
1 T olive oil
pinch, red pepper
1 tsp. parsley

Bring potatoes to a boil. Be sure to salt the potatoes well. Cook until tender when poked with a fork. Then, drain potatoes.

Meanwhile, heat 1 T olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onions and red pepper flakes. Saute until onions are translucent.

Then, add the potatoes to the mix.



Flatten with a spatula, and allow the potatoes to cook and get crispy. Season with salt and pepper.



Flip over and repeat the process until potatoes are crunchy. Then season with parsley and additional salt and pepper.



Serve warm.




The verdict:
These were just okay. Only a 3/5 star rating by us. The potatoes were tender and had good flavor, but they didn't get super crispy. I have a feeling they would have gotten crispier with a lot more oil, but that's just not something that's overly appealing to us. It's a different way to have potatoes, and I bet with the fingerling potatoes they'd be better.

Check out what others made by Anne this week at I Blame My Mother, host of the Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge.

10 comments:

  1. It usually takes a while for potatoes to get crispy. You kind of have to let them sit on the skillet for a while without moving them. I've never had anything by Anne burrell but I've seen her show. She has some interesting recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a interesting way to cook the potatoes but I agree I think it take a long time for them to brown, maybe you could have sliced them in half first, then flattened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a hard pick this week for recipes! Not too many to choose from. These looked like a no fail one but it looks like you still have to tweek the recipe a bit. Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry to hear it wasn't a "knock out of the park" recipe. Maybe Bobby Flay will wow us next week:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have discovered that in order to get potatoes really crispy, you need to not use a non-stick pan and let them sit for ages and ages until they brown and release themselves from the pan! I'm usually not patient enough to do it *L*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought of doing something like that with fingerlings. I might give it a try. Potatoes are gluten free after all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have trouble being patient enough to get potatoes crispy too. Seems like I always mess around with them too much and they start to disintegrate!

    I had trouble finding the ingredients for my recipe this week too, grr =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used this technique before. I'll have to give it a try. The potatoes look luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks pretty good, I definitely don't have the patience to wait for potatoes to adequately brown either though. *Sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Almost looks like the fantastic crash potatoes...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...