Thursday, September 24, 2009

Porcupines

One of my great blogging friends has posted some delicious recipes.  One in particular caught my attention: Porcupines.



This family recipe combines meat, rice in what looks like a delicious tomato-y sauce.  I used quite a few different ingredients, based on what I had on hand, but the end result was something Frog Prince and I really enjoyed.

Porcupines - Adapted from Simply Sara

1 lb. ground beef (I used turkey)
2 T minced onion
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 C brown rice
1 can (14oz) tomato sauce
10 oz. water (~ 1 14/ C)
2 T milk
1 T brown sugar

Combine meat, onion, rice, salt and pepper in a bowl. 



Mix and form ~15 meatballs. Place meatballs in a 9x13 glass pan.





Mix together the tomato sauce, milk, brown sugar and water in a bowl and pour over the meatballs.



Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until the rice is tender.



Serve with extra sauce over the top.



These are quite tasty, and were so easy to make! Thanks, Sara. P.S. why are these called Porcupines?! 

12 comments:

  1. So these are them, eh? Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're called porcupines because usually the cooked rice sticks out like quills! We make a recipe similar to this one ... yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's awesome! Thanks, Emily. I never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    I love your blog!
    This is a message to let you know that your blog is the feature of the Daily Blog Review today.

    You can check out the review at my blog: All That and a Box of Rocks at http://www.lisaschaffer.blogspot.com.

    Have a great day!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. A recipe very similar to these was popular decades ago. They're are also a bit like Chinese rice balls. Your version also looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot all about porcupines. We used to eat these growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry I'm a little late answering your question... but Emily is right.
    :)

    Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Porcupine Meatballs were pretty popular in our family growing up...I actually posted about them too, and looks like our recipes are very similar, only yours has much-better-for-you brown rice instead of white. Which reminds me I need to make them again! yummy!

    http://www.creativelydomestic.com/2009/02/porcupine-meatballs.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello!

    I found your site through a link posted on Pocketyourdollars.com. I've never heard of Porcupines, but they look yummy! I think this would be something my girls will love to help me make. They might even clean their plate these are so cute! I like that they seem simple, healthy and low cost. Just wondering what you normally serve with them?

    Thanks for the recipe!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Beth~ Thanks for visiting!

    We served these with green veggies (broccoli) and mashed potatoes. A salad would also be tasty, or even served atop spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Broccoli and mashed potatoes was what I was thinking would work. My girls love baby spinach so maybe I'll have them start off with a spinach salad and serve the Porcupines with mashed potatoes.

    Thank you for this wonderful site. I have been trying to find health simple meals that will be filling and kid approved. I have already found quite a few things I am excited to try out. Meals for most of my childhood were frozen products, hamburger helper or casseroles using canned or processed ingredients. I love my mom and know she did the best that she knew how. It's been a process though trying to figure out how to create real meals. I love that your site is so straight forward and has step by step pictures to help guide me through.

    :) Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Beth -- you are very sweet. I hope you enjoy the recipes here! I'm impressed your girls like spinach -- awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...