Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Crustless Apple Pie

One area of growth I need as a cook is in the area of pie crusts. I don't like making them... and I stink at making them when I do. Hence why my favorite recipes have non-traditional pie crusts ... oatmeal/crisp-like rather than the traditional sense. But, my favorite way... no crust at all.


The Food Network Chef's Cooking Challenge this week allowed me to try a crustless apple pie, and it was wonderful. I got to enjoy my favorite part of the pie (the filling) without having to make a crust! This recipe is soooooo easy, and can be made with fresh (or frozen) apple slices. I loved it so much I made it again for breakfast just to put into my oatmeal. Yum.

The original Danny Boome recipe calls for orange juice, but because I love the distinct apple flavor, I left out the orange juice in this recipe to give it more of an authentic apple pie taste.

Crustless Apple Pie - Adapted from Danny Boome

1 T butter
4 apples
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 T brown sugar
Vanilla ice cream, if desired

Peel, core and cut the apples into the size slices you desire to eat. Toss apples with cinnamon and brown sugar.

Then, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.


Cook for about 5 minutes, until the apples are soft and caramelize.



Serve warm with ice cream, if desired :)


They are excellent both with and without ice cream. They remind me a lot of my apple-y syrup topping, so they would also be excellent on waffles/pancakes!

This post is also linked to:
Save Room for Dessert
URS

17 comments:

  1. Those look delicious. And just want I need to use up some apples, simple and easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous! My husband would love this. I'm thinking it would be a great treat on waffles or pancakes for Christmas morning (we always eat lunch around 4 on Christmas day so as to enjoy everything without rushing).

    Thanks for stopping by River Rock Cottage! Hope to see you there again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate baking, and my poor family never gets desserts. This looks like it would be right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so yummy and is gluten-free which is a bonus. I am going to try this soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazingly delicious! I can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll send you my recipe for pie crust. It's great every time, which I wouldn't have believed myself if I hadn't tried it. But this looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can imagine they would be SO Good on oatmeal, pancakes, waffles....you name it! I don't like making crust either. I don't even like eating it. I always eat out the filling. This would be perfect for me! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you made this one. I was looking at it but wasn't sure... so now I will add it to the rapidly expanding "to try" recipe file =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds lovely!! Terrific idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look really good. Hubs loves the apples at Cracker Barrel and these even look better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We call these fried apples. Yum!! Now I'm inspired to use them as apple pie filling.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know this apple compote is good. It's one of my favorite ways to eat apples. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those apples are just beautiful to see. I am not a big crust fan, at times, and then this would fit the bill. Apples are grand.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made this tonight and paired it with homemade apple granola! Delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a version of fried apples. Fried apples go great with BBQ and corn on the cob!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...