Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Dark Chocolate Cherry Cobbler

On Friday, I found this delicious-looking dessert from Lisa at Stop and Smell the Chocolates. I was thinking I'd wait until after the holidays to make this dessert, but we had some friends over after our city's celebration to kick off the Christmas season, and this was the dessert of choice.



In fact, we had my loyal guinea pig friends over... somehow they always end up being the ones I make new recipes for; they informed me that they do not mind being in this role. Brad's review was that this dessert "was a delicious blend of chocolately scrumptiousness", and we happen to agree.

Dark Chocolate Cherry Cobbler - Adapted from Lisa

1 1/2 C flour
1/4 C brown sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 T butter
6 oz Dark Chocolate Chips
1/4 C milk
1 egg
1 recipe cherry pie filling (~21 oz)


Prepare the pie filling, and spread into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish (or 7x11 glass baking dish).



Meanwhile, melt the dark chocolate chips slowly in the microwave until melted.



Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and brown sugar. Stir to combine.



Allow the chocolate to cool (so that you don't scramble the eggs!) about 5 minutes, until it reaches room temperature.

Meanwhile, add the room temperature butter to the flour mixture and mix until flour crumbles into clumps.



When the chocolate has cooled, stir the milk in well. Follow by adding in the egg.



Combine the chocolate mixture and the flour mix together. Stir well.



Pour onto the top of the cherries (there will be a lot of chocolaty scrumptiousness over the top of the cherries).



Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.



Enjoy warm or at room temperature ... it's delicious either way.



16 comments:

  1. This looks divine! Thanks for linking to the homemade cherry pie filling recipe. I have several bags of cherries in the freezer from this summer. This may just make it to our weekend menu as a break from all the pumpkin pies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, yum yum!!

    I just made this recipe for mini baby cakes, with cherries!!! So good!
    http://newlyweds.wordpress.com/2009/11/18/food-network-challenge-molten-chocolate-baby-cakes/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! You can't go wrong with cherries and chocolate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom has a recipe almost exactly like this. It's delicious! The only real difference is that she makes a glaze out of sugar, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract that she pours over the cake before it's cooled. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious!! We have guinea pig friends too, lol. Happy Thanksgiving!

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sno! Looks wonderful! I love cherries and adding my other love chocolate- you have a winner! I'm glad I found your blog. Delicious recipes- just like opening a giant yummy cookbook!
    Happy Thanksgiving,
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. I want to lick the bowl.

    2. I just finished a bowl of beef barley soup for lunch and I really think this would be the PERFECT way to chase it. If only you were my neighbour ....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds DELICIOUS!!! Chocolate and cherries together YUMMY!!!
    geri

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like another delicious dessert! For now my own cooking is on hold (aside from holiday baking), but when I get back home this Sunday, I'm going to look at either making this or your lemon bars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So I bought cherry pie filling the other day to serve at a make-your-own-waffle brunch (it's a long story) and it was horrendous! I am SO making my own next time. Love that you have a recipe for it here.

    This looks absolutely amazing! So so moist. It will definitely be made here after the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It has the same ingredients as a Black Forrest Cake. That is always good. I'll wager that this is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you say YUMMY? I linked to this in my Friday Favorites! ~Lanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried this last night; I was so excited! Maybe you can tell me what I did wrong? I followed the recipe to the tee at first, but the chocolate mixture was sooo stiff that I could barely stir it. All I could think of was to add milk little bit by little bit until it was spreadable. It was still sort of like clay. Cooked, the chocolate part was very dense and stiff, enough to have to press hard to get my fork into it.

    Any suggestions?

    note: I made my own filling with frozen tart cherries. It took forever to thicken, but I don't see that as a dealbreaker.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Mishqueen,

    The chocolate topping on mind had a very crisp crust on the top, and was rather dense. I think the hardness of the chocolate depends on the chocolate chips. If the chocolate chips get really, really hot, I think they will re-harden very firmly. I melt my chocolate chips for about 1 minute in the microwave, then I stir them and allow the heat from the other chips to continue to melt them. Other than that, I'm not really sure what to say.

    Hope that's helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't nuke them for very long, so I don't think that was it. Oh well, I guess I'll try it again when I have cherries next.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH, MY...I am definitely making this, this week. Thank you for sharing!! Enjoying your blog...all the way in Minnesota, eh! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love to hear from you; especially how you're finding JOY in your kitchen.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...